animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Mickey and Minnie Mouse in 'Runaway Brain' - 1995

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Mickey and Minnie Mouse in 'Runaway Brain' - 1995

Postby Charles » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:13 am

I never got around to seeing this when it was initially released. I watched the film for the first time a few minutes ago. Had no idea just how good the production quality of 'Runaway Brain' was until I saw it for myself just now.

Directed by Chris Bailey who did a superb job on this Oscar nominated short. Andreas Deja is credited with the animation along with Dan Cooper on backgrounds and several other great talents. Another surprise, it was produced in Paris, France when the Disney Company had a studio operating there.

Unfortunately, the names of the French crew are not included in the credits, which is a shame. Never the less, a wonderful job on a magnificent film created at the height of the animation boom of the Second Golden Age in 1995. Enjoy...

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Mickey and Minnie Mouse in 'Runaway Brain' - 1995

Postby Semaj » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:17 pm

I didn't catch this until it came out on DVD in 2004. For some reason, Runaway Brain got an unfair rap for supposedly "ruining" Mickey Mouse, even though it was so obviously a brain-swap story, no darker than anything attempted in Mickey's best years. Disney mostly ignored this after its initial release, as they've done with much of their modern shorts.

The irony in the complaint was that this was a rare attempt to give Mickey a fully active role in an animated short, where long before a 30-year hiatus, he had become the non-active "good guy" in the Pluto series.
Semaj

Re: Mickey and Minnie Mouse in 'Runaway Brain' - 1995

Postby Charles » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Same here. Heard negative rap at the time about the film regarding along with some positive. After seeing it for myself I wonder what the hell these people were thinking. This is a great short film. Nominated for an Oscar. Mickey and Minnie are superb together. Great production quality. Beautiful design. Animation is flawless and exciting. Color and art direction excellent.

If I were running Disney I'd push for a steady stream of cartoons like this. You can see and feel the enthusiasm of the 90s animation boom in this film.

I hope it will be rediscovered and re-appreciated by today's audiences. Posted it on AN's homepage for this date.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion