animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

The Artists' Perspective

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

The Artists' Perspective

Postby Charles » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:14 am

It's missing from many aspects of animation.

Take for example a situation that a colleague of mine described. Something he recently experienced at his workplace. A meeting was held by production management. The meeting concerned artwork that was being developed for the project the studio was involved with. Everyone was there talking about it, offering input and direction. Everyone except the artists that created the work. Who incidentally, were right down the hall.

Oftentimes, people react with hostility to the point I make and have made over the years, that very few artists are involved in the operational aspects of the animation industry. From the studios to the support organizations, it's virtually the same story. Take for example the latest news about the Annie Awards and the problems ASIFA-Hollywood is having with the voting process. The situation is being managed by a nine member board of directors, and only one of those directors is actually an animation artist. So how can the artists' perspective be represented in such a situation when there's almost no artists involved.

I'm not singling out any one organization or institution, and it's not my intention to make a bigger deal out of it than is warranted. But think about this. Maybe it's our fault that things are the way they are. Maybe if the community of animation artists would've been more pro-active in the past, maybe things would be different today as far as a more direct involvement in things.

We all want to indulge in the joy of the creative process, but sometimes, we need to get out of the cubicle and engage the world that revolves around what we do. The artists' perspective in our own industry is something that may not necessarily be considered unless we make it a point of consideration. And that means fostering some personal initiative in that direction.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: The Artists' Perspective

Postby EAllen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:01 pm

I myself would do more in this area Charles, but I'm kind of busy establishing my brand at this point . . . which incidentally is how I will be able to do more in the future . . .
EAllen

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Amen. Been to the top, its not what they say it is...they don't care about you.

For some, it works out for them..but ask around. Ask how many people work in the industry then ask...how many of them retire off the studio gigs?

Now for those few who got sweet deal in the studio, please just sit back and save it,because you know you're few and far between..and thats my point.

the studios, they don't care.

you want change. do it. its totally doable. we all have the ability to create change and to follow our dreams...its not easy, but its possible.

And that doesn't mean you all do what I'm doing, or what I'm even talking about. It means, you know what it means...to you. Then do you. Its hard, but doable. Because its you...and you know yourself better then anyone else. So do you...tell them, do you and I'll do me.

Make you're own reality.
SNAKEBITE

Postby EAllen » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 am

I'm glad Bite's here to remind us just how hard it is to be unique and independent in an industry that embraces (and rewards) conformity, which in a way is its own Mobius-strip like oxymoron since it was the entertainment industry that was responsible for many, if not most, of the social and cultural shifts that occurred.

Again, my focus is on my brand, and on being the kind of change I want to experience.
EAllen

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:11 am

I'm glad it strikes a Moebius cord, he was one of my first all time influences in my life. Love his work!

but there is no secret other then being you. THe universe is built of equilibrium and before I sound too esoteric, I want to point out that you have desires because thats what you were created to have.
Whatever those desires are...unfortunately, even if they are fuked up feelings.

But Enoch, my brutha, welcome to your one true burden in your life. You. Doing you is the hardest thing you will do...and the most satisfying. Prepare for a ride, if it already hasn't started. But no one can do you better then you. Nor should they.
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion