animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

VFX Artists Went Unpaid For PIRANHA 3D Work

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

VFX Artists Went Unpaid For PIRANHA 3D Work

Postby EAllen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:46 am

I didn't see a post for this anywhere on here, so I decided to take the initiative.

Fake Studio, a Montreal-based FX house, initially failed to pay its artists because Dimension/Weinstein Co. (the film's studio) failed to pay them. Marc Cote, a principal at Fake, emphasized the firm's position in stating Fake's commitment to compensate the artists involved. David Cohen of Variety reported on this, the link of which I followed from fxguide.com.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118023071.html

Dave Rand turned a similar issue he had with Meteor Studios (on the Journey to the Center of the Earth matter) into a giant stink, which attracted nationwide attention when David Cohen jumped aboard and widened exposure of that issue. Now, with Fake, feels like deja vu again of sorts--with the difference this time being the origin of the problem, which came one or two levels higher as opposed to coming from the VFX house itself.

Dimension has since paid Fake, and payment to artists from Fake is reportedly forthcoming if it hasn't already been completed.

Surprising? Methinks not.
EAllen

Return to General Discussion