animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Graphic Design/Illustration Trade Schools

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Graphic Design/Illustration Trade Schools

Postby paburrows » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:38 am

I know that for Animation classes that you can take classes at Trade Schools like Charle's school, The Union, Gnomon, Concept Design Academy & the LA Academy of Figurative Art. I was curious though if there were any Trade Schools that were devoted to Graphic Design or Illustration in the LA area? I'm thinking about taling classes at California State University CSUN, but I would prefer finding a school where you don't have to go through a whole program in order to get to one or two classes that I really want to take.
paburrows

Re: Graphic Design/Illustration Trade Schools

Postby Glen Moyes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:50 am

The first thing I thought of was the Art Institute, an on their site they said this:
Can I just take one class online?

You can take one class or sign up for an entire degree or diploma program. Some classes will have pre-requisites and some will require you to take some software training prior to taking the class.

So it seems like you can take just one or two classes there.

Another option is online schools, and Art Institute does have an online program. Other than them I don't know of any online graphic design/illustration schools that I've heard good things about, and you'll definitely want to talk to actual students of those programs before you take the classes because there are a lot of useless design schools out there.
Glen Moyes

Re: Graphic Design/Illustration Trade Schools

Postby Rob Lamb » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:59 am

Back in the 70s, I took life drawing classes at night at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. It is a very good design school.

http://www.artcenter.edu/accd/index.jsp
Rob Lamb

Return to General Discussion