animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Persephone - Pt. 6 & Weevil and Nightshade Update

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Persephone - Pt. 6 & Weevil and Nightshade Update

Postby Weevil » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:54 am

Last Sunday, January 29th, the production crew and members from Animation Dynamics met at Dan Ackerman’s Stage 13 to collect the remaining pick-up shots for the live-action, CGI-infused short film, "Persephone".

In all, there was a total of five shots plus two selective 360 passes for stills in order to have proper coverage of Persephone in her two outfits; should we decide to create a 3D rendering of her for augmented reality purposes.

Christina Kortum from Ravenous Studios once again put Alix (Persephone) back into her chocolate skin for the last time. The process was much quicker (2.5 hours) as compared to the almost 7 hours it initially took last May due to the fact that the application of the skin, latex and facial masking had to be created on set so she could sculpt a layered, broken texture across Persephone skin.

Post movement at Animation Dynamics has been going smoothly. The team has been steadily working on keying, compositing and creating the layered, impressionistic world from which the story takes place; a 19th century dreamscape in the Netherlands region.

On other creative fronts – that from which Persephone was spawned from, is the development of Weevil and Nightshade’s Compendium of Farables & Tales.

Carla Lee, our talented and imaginative illustrator, has been consistently feeding me new drawings, concepts, illustrations, and ideas regarding the characters in the book. I have been showing many of the illustrations that Carla has been creating… but I can’t help myself. While there are many that won’t be seen until the books release… peppering my updates with at least one of her creations is always a joy for me.

In the below illustration, we see Mr. Johannson get a surprise as a piece of pork chop flies into his clam chowder delight. This is from the farable, Little Miss Monkey Mary.

The final layout of the book has not been established as of yet… but I do know the first print run will be a limited edition hardback book which will be sold during a concurrent fund raising campaign for sound development and score on Persephone. Donators towards the project will be able to receive the limited edition book along with a variety of other great items.

Since Persephone is adapted from one of the stories in the book, “Both Bitter and Sweet Was Persephone Inside Most Incomplete” I figure the promotion of the book works proper alongside the continued development of the short film.

Time to get back to work… many things to do.

Animation is scheduled for completion, April 2012. Mark has just begun the social media campaign, which will soon include chocolate giveaways, contests and drawings. Be sure to visit and “Like” our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/persephonefilm and “Follow” the Twitter page at www.twitter.com/PersephoneFilm to be included in these special offerings and events!

Please comment and share this posting with your friends and family!

- Mark
Weevil

Re: Persephone - Pt. 6 & Weevil and Nightshade Update

Postby Charles » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:15 pm

A short film about a young woman who is made of chocolate.

Interesting! Thanks for posting the images, links and info. Looking forward to the finished project.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Persephone - Pt. 6 & Weevil and Nightshade Update

Postby Weevil » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks Charles! We'll be sure to consistently update as post-production continues until completion!
Weevil

Return to General Discussion