animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

2011 Academy Award Nominees for Animation

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

2011 Academy Award Nominees for Animation

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:16 pm

From Animation Magazine...

2011 Oscar Noms Offer Surprises
by Ramin Zahed
January 24, 2012

The nominees for the 84th annual Oscars were announced Tuesday morning, with the best animated feature race falling to:

A Cat in Paris Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli (GKids)

Chico & Rita Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal (GKids)

Kung Fu Panda 2 Jennifer Yuh Nelson (DreamWorks)

Puss In Boots Chris Miller (DreamWorks)

Rango Gore Verbinski (Paramount)

None of the animated features made the nine-title Best Picture race, which will included The Artist, The Descendants, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, The Help, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, Moneyball, The Tree of Life and War Horse.

In the best animated short film category, the Academy nominated

Dimanche/Sunday Patrick Doyon, director (National Film Board of Canada)

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg, directors (Moonbot Studios LA, LLC)

La Luna Enrico Casarosa, director (Pixar Animation Studios)

A Morning Stroll Grant Orchard, director and Sue Goffe, producer (Studio AKA)

Wild Life Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby, directors (National Film Board of Canada)

The five features nominated for the Best Visual Effects Oscar are:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson)

Hugo (Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning)

Real Steel (Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg)

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett)

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John Frazier)

The Adventures of Tintin did receive a nomination for its score by John Williams, while Rio was one of the two movies in the Best Song category, with “Real in Rio” by Sergio Mendes, Carlinhos Brown and Siedah Garrett. “Man or Muppet” from The Muppets by Bret Mckenzie scored the other nomimation.

Surprisingly missing from the nominees list this morning were Steven Spielberg’s The Adventures of Tintin, Arthur Christmas, Cars 2 and Winnie the Pooh. The awards also make a wonderful coup for New York-based indie GKids which picked up the two foreign 2-D hand-drawn animated movies Chico and Rita and A Cat in Paris. In the shorts category, Warner Bros.’ I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat was one of the surprise shut-outs.

The winners will be announced at the 84th annual Academy Awards ceremony on Sunday, February 26, 2012, at the Kodak Theatre televised live on ABC.

You can check out the complete list of nominees at www.Oscars.com

Article

Daily Z

Charles

Re: 2011 Academy Award Nominees for Animation

Postby skynet » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:01 pm

Chico and Rita, the Spanish-language film that earned a surprise Oscar nomination this morning in the animated feature category, may have snuck under the predictions radar, but it has so many voter-pleasing features it might as well have been built in an awards-seeking lab.

Read More: The Surprisingly Sexy Nominee That Should Win Best Animated Movie
skynet

Postby Charles » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:07 am

This is pretty cool. It's video of the announcement of the 2011 Oscar nominees in the major categories. At 3:30 is where the animated feature nominees are named.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Something that I'm sure hasn't gone unnoticed when it comes to this year's nominees for Best Animated Feature.

Two films by Dreamworks, none by Disney or Pixar.

I'm sure it'll be a different story this time next year. For the time being, it's good to see the films that've been chosen getting this very special recognition.

Also, the Golden Globe winning Tintin is not a finalist.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby 9oldmen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:15 pm

And the Oscar went to: Rango! ...
...with "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" winning for best animated short.
So Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks are by no means the only game in town.
9oldmen

Postby space » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:52 am

I'm really glad Rango won. It's further cementing the viability of ILM animation. I look forward to what they do next.

It's also good to see some international movies make it in the Animation category. I'm also glad that being big budget does not guarantee you a spot.

I wasn't crazy about Hugo as a movie, but the categories it won in, were deserved. It was beautiful.

-Chris
-------------------------------
Chris Smallfield
Head of 3d - http://shape-minds.com/
http://www.chrissmallfield.com
space

Return to General Discussion