animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

New record for visitors to New AN Forums

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

New record for visitors to New AN Forums

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:19 am

I periodically update our members and readers about increased traffic to the AN Forums.

Yesterday on March 2, we hit a new high as we substantially broke the record for unique visitors to the new forums, which was set on January 25.

We've been getting consistently better traffic since our lows this past October, I'm happy to say. Yesterday's new record was a 20% increase over the previous one, and more than 5 times higher than what we were doing a little more than 4 months ago.

The surge in traffic isn't due to referrals from other sites, or a link to a topic that was posted at another location on the Web. It comes from people directly accessing the AN Forums, from what Google Analytics tells us.

Thank you very much folks for your continuing and growing interest in AN.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: New record for visitors to New AN Forums

Postby Charles » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 am

Looks like we're in a new range for traffic. Also, pageviews have been at record levels all week.

We're doing considerably better now than at the level we were at towards the end of the old forums. We've weathered the transition and now it's growing into new ground.

This is great, thanks again everyone.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:07 am

Charles, congrats!

Now let me emphasize something. Something that AN has of great value that may have been overlooked but I've mentioned to you before.

History, education, reference.

With over 10 years of daily professional input on these forums there is now a library, a massive library of historical references, opinions, tutorials, etc. on AN that any student or instructor or news service should access and get a first hand look at the animation industry, tools, talent.

Where else can newbies go and chat with a professional? Get inside tips that can propel them to the front of the class or industry?

It's been time on the J-O-B like the song says.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks Greg and you're right. There's a vast amount of content on AN as well as the history of the animation industry since February 1999.

In days to come future generations will turn to the site and read through the archives and see the industry play out over a very crucial period of time. And it's still happening. History is being recorded every day on AN.

We're on track to come close to the record for unique visitors from the day before. We already have as many visitors at 2:30 pm as we would normally have for a healthy day.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 am

Yesterday we came one visitor shy of matching the record that was set last Wednesday. What made this particularly unusual is that it was on a Sunday. We normally get our best traffic during the week.

I looked into this further and it seems that we got a boost from people coming to this particular topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1168

What's intriguing about this is that the extra traffic came from Facebook. Someone or perhaps several people featured the topic on their Facebook accounts and as a result we had extra traffic coming to the forums.

But even without this bump, if it were to be factored out, we would've easily beat the record for unique visitors on a Sunday.

We're getting better traffic overall to the forums, a positive trend that I hope will continue.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby paburrows » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:56 am

Congratulations Charles!

I know that this would take a lot of effort, but one thing that would be nice because of the historical nature of this wonderful forum is if it was somehow set up so that you could do a topic search or some other way to easily go back beyond a year ago and read some of the really old topics and posts. Just a suggestion.

Awesome work Charles and to everyone else that has made this forum what it is.
paburrows

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:53 am

I don't think there's a way to tie in a search from the old forums with the new ones Paul. They're two different systems. We've been utilizing the new forums since last June 16. That's not quite 9 months, as opposed to the old ones which we were using for many years. It'll take time to build up the content here to match what we have archived on the old system.

What's interesting is that the old forums, even though we're not using them anymore, are still getting good traffic. More than what we get on the new ones. Most of that traffic comes from Google searches. There's so much stuff there that Google referrals are a major factor as to the continued attention they're getting.

But look at what we can do with these forums. Video embedding, and it's as easy to upload graphics as it is to attach them to email. We have a much better registration system that screens applications very thoroughly so we don't have to worry about trolls anymore.

Plus we can advertise!

There's much less tension here and a more positive environment overall. Personally I enjoy the new system and from my experiences with the old forums, I'll take the new ones anyday. Now that we're developing an awareness and building a good following, it's helping to make the AN Forums better for everyone.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion