animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

AnimationNation - 12 Years Old Today - February 25, 2011

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

AnimationNation - 12 Years Old Today - February 25, 2011

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 am

Yep!

Went online in '99.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: AnimationNation - 12 Years Old Today - February 25, 2011

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:22 am

If AN was a kid it would be in the 6th grade by now.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:09 am

And the smartest kid in the room!

Fist High AN!!!!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:25 am

The origin of the AN Movement and the site is something that will inspire.

It started with a chance meeting at the Burbank Historical Society on Super Bowl Sunday in January, 1999, between myself, Bronnie Barry and Joe Suggs.

A month later, the site was up and running and we've been going at it ever since, fighting for the interests of animation artists everywhere.

It started with passing out tabs of paper at the studios with a "4.1" on it, then a couple of weeks later, another round of 4.1 tabs along with the site's address.

The 4.1 was a code for April 1, 1999 and by that date, we organized a lunchtime walkout / gathering of many of the artists in the animation community, at the Sportsmens Lodge in Studio City, California, and the revolution was under way.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Something told me there was something special about AN this month. I remember finding AN when I was wondering what the heck was going on in the industry at the time back in '99 I think.

I had several comic book properties optioned for film and was getting emails and phone calls from friends in the animation biz about all sorts of questionable behavior as they knew I worked in the news business for years and no one was giving the animators any press.

I found AN and read and studied and hopefully contributed in some way.

I have to admit, there's been many a fight on and off AN but that's typical when you're dealing with a multi billion dollar industry. I think the biggest lesson learned is that you can't sit by and let others take responsibility for your destiny. You can take the lazy irresponsible way out and let others feed you money for your skills whilst they rake in all the dough and credit and kick you to the curb when they find faster/cheaper labor or you can stand on your own two feet and call the shots.

Had there been more solidarity things might be better but at least at one point in art history people stood up and it's now a matter of historical fact.
Greg B

Postby paburrows » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Fist High!
paburrows

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Same to you!

FIST HIGH!!!

AN is rich in history, and has really made a mark!

I'm very proud of what we've been able to do and how we continue to influence the animation industry in spite of ourselves.

This is still the beginning. Twelve years is not a very long time at all in the grand scheme of things.

The kid is in 6th grade. Wait until he graduates from high school and then goes to college and then gets his masters degree and then a PhD and then...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby 9oldmen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Next year, he gets his Bar Mitzvah.

http://www.robertgold.blogspot.com
9oldmen

Return to General Discussion