animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Are the Animation Wars over?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Are the Animation Wars over?

Postby Greg B » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:54 pm

It's past the 10 year mark for AN and through the Animation Wars I can think of no other resource on the web that has been as effective and proactive as AN.

I'm seeing more animators working than a few years ago and not as many beefs about the industry.

So has the Animation Wars ended? Are all things now happy in Mudville?

What more improvements in and around the industry need be addressed?
Greg B

Re: Are the Animation Wars over?

Postby Charles » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:25 pm

They're just gettin started.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Getting started?

I thought the worst was over. In the past ten years we saw people lose their jobs en masse, studios shut down, friendships destroyed, but then the community rose up, protested, strategized, re-formed, adapted to CGI, and utilized the web more.

I don't see anywhere near the beefing and fighting on AN like we used to see. I figured things were moving to the better.
Greg B

Postby emavatson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:50 am

I think animation wars are getting started now and we all have to get ready for the good results from it .
emavatson

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:37 pm

There's always a battle to be fought Greg. Especially in this community. Maybe the studios aren't fighting it out on the inside like before, but there's a lot of continuing work to be done among ourselves.

Lame industry leadership, apathetic union membership, opportunistic producers, elitism, hateful animation critics, organizations who try and block the awareness of AN from the consciousness of the creative community...

Many of whom see AN as a threat to their sense of authority or dominance over us, and most of whom are not animation artists.

The war in animation is ongoing as long as there's people in the biz who try and suppress the message of unity and independence among artists.

Animation artists should be captains and commanders, and as long as we're second class citizens in our own home and subservient to the monkey, there will always be a war going on.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Sounds like the old "Bread and circuses" thing all over again, Charles.

What you've said applies to every industry where creatives are the backbone. Comics, music, writing, all have those basic problems.
Greg B

Postby paburrows » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:05 pm

I see the Union trying to bring in the Video Games people, maybe we should do likewise. Theres got to be unhappy people and organizations in the Illustration, Graphic Design, Video Game etc studios. We should try and combine with other like minded groups to fight the battle. I know that theres a Graphic artists Guild and another organization for Computer Animators. We should see what kind of bridges we can build between other groups that have like minded ideals.
paburrows

Postby Greg B » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Pburrows, video games are where it's at. Looking at the contracts that come in to me from video game companies the money is outrageous. It really depends on the leadership, story, graphics, and strategy.

The well done games make more money than most movies and tv shows.

Haven't heard any complaints though but they are animators and artists none the less.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:43 pm

The union missed the boat on bringing video game artists into the fold just like they missed the boat with VFX and are now trying to catch up.

Once again for the Guild members reading this... How much does your business rep get paid? Any idea?

Why do you pay this guy who's continually missed opportunities to bring in artists from different aspects of animation while the Guild's president is expected to work for free?

Greg, the infighting on the forums has ceased ever since we went to this new system. The open forum we had was trashed in large part because artists couldn't responsibly use the freedom they had. That's why you see moderated comments on blogs nowadays. These guys keep things under control and never had to deal with what we dealt with over here. AN paved the way and paid the price.

Also, there's no anonymous registration on AN like there used to be. If you don't identify yourself and we can't be sure about who you are, then we don't clear the account. The screening process has worked very well so far.

On occasion we'll get a registration request from someone who was a major abuser on the old forums. When that happens, the decision for us is easy.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby IzzyPanda » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm

This is quite the general post and I don't know the full scoop of animation politics but, it is never over until we accept each other's differences and opinions and for some people, grow the hell up.

I have faith in this generation. And if nobody steps forward to making change then I along with many others will someday. I'm happy to say I've told my younger artist friends the state and they all agree of the corruption in this business. It's really sad we have to fear peers because of stupid disagreements.

There will always be fighting, but there will be solutions if the close minded set in old ways will lend an ear.
The crap part about that is that some people will always be fine with what's happened so far.
It's just hunky dory when really it's very wrong.

A man once told me to stay out of this for my own good and then said that the new generation will begin to make things right.
Well I now believe that person is off in the head mostly cause, we can complain all we want about things that bother us. It's not until people start doing the right thing for others. I know it isn't as easy now with the current economy state but hey, but but I believe if one great person sets a good example it will create a domino effect with other budding artists. It may not happen fast but it will.
IzzyPanda

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:35 pm

That's right Izzy.

It may not happen fast, but it will happen. It's been happening, and it going to continue as long as there's great upcoming artists like yourself that are ready for the good fight.

The biggest and most ongoing war in animation is the war on attitudes, and it is ripe for battle.

There's too much animosity,, jealousy, ego and old mentalities that try and dictate to our community. They don't want their authority or positions or thinking to be challenged. They don't want to change. They discourage the kind of pro-activity that would force them to change. Even something as passive as self-reflection they resist.

They see the AnimationNation Movement as a genuine threat. They try and trivialize it and keep it from getting further known throughout the community by keeping links to us off of their sites.

It's been repeated over and over again throughout our long history, that we are not the enemy, yet they continue to see us in that regard.

We're the only site in all of the animation industry that questions the union, the film societies, the critic bloggers, the executives, the studio systems...

We're the only site in all of the animation industry that puts the interests of artists first.

We're the only site of all the major industry centric sites of its kind that is run by artists.

There's too much abuse of the artist going on. They may not admit it, and to them they feel like they're doing us a favor by being in control of our community, or they may feel that they're helping out by what they do.

But if they were really concerned about helping artists, a link to AnimationNation.com would be on their sites and they would support AN in just a fraction of the way we've supported them over the years.

We're building some excellent alternative relationships in spite of the haters in this biz, and I'm excited about where everything is going. Especially now since we're not distracted by the malicious activity we've experienced on the old forums over the years.

We can deliver a much more focused message.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby IzzyPanda » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Hey, agreed.

Guess it's go-time for some change and revolution.

All forms of artists should be treated EQUALLY.
IzzyPanda

Postby Greg B » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:58 am

I've mentioned this before and will again.

The complaints we see about the animation industry and especially the artist's community are the same as any other industry and group.

The common denominator devil in all this is that although we may all be associated with animation in one form or another or work at a company that makes us part of a group, the smaller groups or larger groups we belong to tear us apart.

Race, religion, politics, nationality, sex, you name it, it will come into conflict.

When those groups and ideas supersede the need to survive as artists, conflicts are born.

It depends on where you feel your power flows from. Each of us has our own idea of what comes first to us and use our other groups we belong to as fodder to feed the group we hold most important.

That's what happens with execs. They feed off the talent to feed toward their own agendas which unfortunately may not be in the best interest of the company nor industry. How many times have we seen execs use a company's assets for political and social gain or even personal gain at the risk of the people who made that money?

I'm now figuring the war isn't with animation but with imagination. The devil's got imagination too.
Greg B

Return to General Discussion