animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Animator Dress Up Get Together?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Animator Dress Up Get Together?

Postby Greg B » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:35 am

I've been watching lots of documentaries about the hey day of Hollywood and animation and noticed how the folks in that era all dressed up in suits and ties and dresses.

Real nice photo shoots. Then I said to myself what if we got sharp and had a photo shoot just for history's sake.

I'd bet our parents and grandparents would freak.
Greg B

Re: Animator Dress Up Get Together?

Postby Charles » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm

I found a video tribute to Disney's 9 Old Men for some reference regarding how animators used to dress for work. I noticed from photos of an era gone by that many of the men wore ties and the ladies wore dresses. There's a few times when what they're wearing is casual, but you can see how many instances there are in the video when they did dress smartly for their work environment.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Great vid Charles.

My hometown has a website and we look at the pics, engravings, paintings of our families going back centuries. We noticed that around 1970 people stopped dressing up. It's funny but when we do dress up we startle the old timers because they say we remind them of kinfolk long passed.

So nowadays when we get together we dress up and slick our hair back and the girls put on dresses and even make some from the old patterns. It's funny and scary to look at ourselves.

Just a thought as years from now folks will be looking back at us now.
Greg B

Postby Rob Lamb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Back in late 1988 or perhaps early 1989 before Filmation folded, a group of us storyboarders did get dressed up in a sort of anti-casual Friday thing.

FilmationSuits_01.jpg
1988-89 Filmation Formal Friday with shades - Back Row - Gary Goldstein (storyboard supervisor), Karl Toerge, Rob Lamb; Front Row - Paul Scarzo, Flamarion Ferriera, Rachel Brenner, Mike Sosnowski

FilmationSuits_02.jpg
1988-89 Filmation Formal Friday without shades (except Gary) - Back Row - Gary Goldstein (storyboard supervisor), Karl Toerge, Rob Lamb; Front Row - Paul Scarzo, Flamarion Ferriera, Rachel Brenner, Mike Sosnowski
Rob Lamb

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:50 pm

I love it!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Greg B » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:57 pm

That's a great photo Rob!

I was also thinking about doing what some of us do back home. We dress in period outfits since we still have them in storage at the colleges and theaters and homes. The reaction really shocks people.
Greg B

Return to General Discussion