animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

And the (Oscar) nominees are...

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

And the (Oscar) nominees are...

Postby 9oldmen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 am

I remembered that there was a little confusion on the boards last year as far as Oscar nominees vs.films eligible for Oscars, so I thought I would start a thread to announced the nominees, which were revealed just a few minuted ago on ABC, and at oscars.com. (I also used this as an occasion to register for the new boards. You may remember me from the old ones as "Animagus").
Here are the nominees for Best Animated Feature:
How To Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3
Congratulations to all the creatives, yes creatives at Pixar/Disney and Dreamworks, and a special congratulations to Sylvain Chomet and Sony Classics for helping to keep the flame of traditional animation lit.
And a big congratulations to Pixar for Toy Story 3, which is also nominated for best adapted screenplay
...and, Toy Story 3 is competing with 9 live-action movies for Best Picture, only the third time an animated feature has earned that honor.
Congratulations to all nominees.

http://oscar.go.com/
9oldmen

Re: And the (Oscar) nominees are...

Postby 9oldmen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:22 am

I didn't forget best animated short. Here they are:
Day & Night (Walt Disney) A Pixar Animation Studios Production Teddy Newton
The Gruffalo A Magic Light Pictures Production Jakob Schuh and Max Lang
Let's Pollute A Geefwee Boedoe Production Geefwee Boedoe
The Lost Thing (Nick Batzias for Madman Entertainment) A Passion Pictures Australia Production Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary) A Sacrebleu Production Bastien Dubois

I guess the one name we were hoping to see on this list was Michel Gagne, but his absence here doesn't mean that he didn't make a good film.
9oldmen

Postby 9oldmen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 am

The animated films last year not only looked, but sounded good, and Toy Story 3 is nominated for best sound editing.
John Powell has been nominated for his score for "Dragon". The song "I See The Light" from "Tangled" is up for best original song, as is "We Belong Together" from TS3. Those were written by Alan Menken and Randy Newman, respectivly, both of whom have Oscars already for their work in Disney or Disney/Pixar films.
Good luck to all the nominees. We'll see who takes home the Gold on Oscar night (February 27th).
9oldmen

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks 9oldmen for being on top of this and posting the news.

Here's a statement we received from the directors of How To Train Your Dragon.

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, nominated for Best Animated Feature

"What an honor it is to be nominated for an Academy Award! I'm actually on my way to the Van Nuys immigration and naturalization office for a biometrics (fingerprinting) appointment. I'm looking at the Oscar nom as a good sign! Maybe they'll let me stick around and become a citizen now!"

- Dean DeBlois, Writer/Director, "How to Train Your Dragon"

"To be nominated in the animated feature film category is is an unbelievable thrill and honor. I honestly couldn't sleep last night in anticipation of the announcement. When I was a kid I watched the Oscars with my grandmother - we never missed a broadcast. I could never have imagined that as kid growing up in Colorado I would have a chance to be a part of this amazing thing. DreamWorks gave us a place where we were free to create and pushed us to never ever stop short of the best we could do."

- Chris Sanders, Writer/Director, "How to Train Your Dragon"

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:59 pm

From the Director and Producer of "The Gruffalo".

THE GRUFFALO, nominated for Best Animated Short Film

Gruffalo2a.jpg

"We are delighted, and very honoured, to hear that our film has been acknowledged by the Academy in this way. We couldn't be happier. Making ‘The Gruffalo’ was a wonderful experience for Max [Lang] and myself and to hear that it is being enjoyed by so many people, is almost too much of a reward in itself."
-- Jakob Schuh, Director

Gruffalo1.jpg

"Martin [Pope] and I are thrilled and delighted that ‘The Gruffalo’ has been nominated. It's the dream culmination of our six year journey to bring Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler's magical children's book to the screen."
-- Michael Rose, Producer

Daily Z

Charles

Postby 9oldmen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Also, good luck to Roger Deakins. As you may know, he is the live-action cinematographer who was enlisted to assist Chris and Dean in establishing the look of "Dragon", and he himself is nominated for best cinematography for "True Grit".
9oldmen

Return to General Discussion