animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

How to train your executives

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

How to train your executives

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:11 am

ExecutiveTraining.jpg
ExecutiveTraining.jpg (82.3 KiB) Viewed 87 times

I've got news for ya folks.

You can't.

Maybe it'll work on dragons, but not on execs.

There's nothing you can do about it, I'm sorry to say. Outside of being your own executive, there's not much that can be done about the situation, and all the whining, bitching and complaining about executives won't change a damn thing.

The animation community's been doing it for years. From the advent of AnimationNation.com to the fanboy blogs to the union and beyond.

And after all this time, what's happened? What's changed? A lot of things have changed, and maybe for the better. But there's one constant. The animation community would rather not in any meaningful way confront any kind of executive management problem that may exist in animation beyond the usual ineffective complaints.

We had our chances to make a strong, unified collective statement, but the community would rather not bother itself. From a 20% turnout for the union's last election in November, to just one person running for its president, to the fanboy bloggers, to the industry organizations. You'll never do anything about it. Unless you're willing to go independent or be pro-active, what's the point of complaining.

Although my commentary may sound like a white flag going up, I know the reality of the biz. This community would rather work for executives than challenge them or the system.

They rule the world folks, so might as well accept it.

ExecutiveTraining1.jpg
ExecutiveTraining1.jpg (16.89 KiB) Viewed 87 times

Or if you don't, if you want it to change it'll take action on your part beyond just the typical whining. Educate and motivate a generation to prepare young people for a different world, and then implement that change through your example.

The monkey will not repent. Even with the example of DreamWorks, unless executives choose to change by their own volition, there's nothing anyone can do within the system to get them to see things otherwise.

Only you can be the change.

And with so many animation artists wanting to work within the system, whatever experiences you may be having with non-creative executives who control animation, learn to live with it cuz there's very few people in the animation community willing to step up and challenge things beyond the usual gripes.

Enjoy what you have, we all should, even if it means having to deal with the suits. Unless you're willing to break away and do it on your own, or take on the power collectively, they will own you as long as you are willing to be owned.

Animation artists are trained well.

Make the best of it.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: How to train your executives

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 am

This topic reminds me of a friend of mine, a truly incredible artist working at the top level of the industry for years.

Thought his opportunity would come where he would get beyond that glass ceiling at his studio and be one of the gang. The executives would see how hard he works, how dedicated he is, and they for certain were aware of his incredible talent. It was only a matter of time before he got his really big chance cuz he was training them right.

Well, they let him go. He was laid off. After years at the top, they let him go. Now he works with a smaller independent studio, makes less money, but he's happy and that's what matters most in life.

Moral of the story...

Train yourself first.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion