animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

AN Night - January 25, 2011

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

AN Night - January 25, 2011

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:03 pm

I Want To Draw

Hello everyone, and a Happy 2011 to you all.

In the two years we've been sponsoring AnimationNation Night, we've had a great run of events every month. All of them fun and memorable, and some historic in their significance. It took a two year run for a last minute mix up with our scheduled guest speaker to unfortunately postpone their appearance on the occasion of this upcoming AN Night.

We considered searching for a replacement, then I said to myself, "We've been organizing events for AN Night for quite a while now, and maybe it's time to take a break from interviewing speakers and putting on a show." Now that we have a window of opportunity, why not spend the evening doing something different. Like coming up with new artwork, and having fun creating in a communal environment.

My daily schedule and professional responsibilities preclude me from drawing for the most part, so I'd like to take advantage of the situation and jam with friends and colleagues. So let's do just that.

Come on down to AnimationNation Night and let's create together. I'll be doing a series of demonstrations, and there'll be plenty of other artists around doing the same thing. It'll be a smorgasbord of demos in a variety of subjects. From character design to background design to Photoshop and Illustrator demos. Bring your art supplies and if you don't have supplies we'll have them handy to make it a productive time for you. We'll be videotaping some of these demos for future reference on AN.

It's something different from what we've done before, but if you've ever been to AN Night, and you've seen how many people are drawing anyway, it may be different but it's still a familiar activity none the less.

AN Night - Tuesday - January 25, 2011
2006 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank 91506

Doors open at 7 PM and we'll go until ... ?

Look for the Burbank Association of Realtors Building. Head upstairs to the second floor hall.

The event is free and there's plenty of free parking in the lot and on the spacious streets.

We'll be ordering pizza and soft drinks as usual, and $5 will get you plenty to eat.

If you want to draw as badly as I do, then join us in this new type of AN Night. It'll be great fun and we'll all have a good time creating and learning, networking and socializing.

You're welcome to bring a friend.

See you there!

Charles Z

Daily Z

Charles

Re: AN Night - January 25, 2011

Postby skynet » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 pm

skynet

Postby Charles » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:35 am

An absolutely terrific AN Night.

Wasn't sure how it was gonna go. We never did that before in the 2 year history of AN Night. No guest speaker, no screening or anything special. Just a night devoted to hanging out and drawing and a Photoshop demo and pizza.

We had 45 people show up.

Guess what I found out during the course of the evening folks.

We had a visitor from the Animation Guild's meeting just down the street. Their bi-monthly meeting in their great big brand new building and they had a whopping 9 people show up for it besides their executive board according to what I was told. They even gave away pizza and couldn't get any more than a handful of people to attend.

That's some caravan, eh guys?

AN Nights are by far so much more fun and so much more meaningful. Even with nothing going on we still get healthy crowds showing up and we progress.

This AN Night was a test. It was a measure of what would happen with nothing special happening other than creating, and it was very successful.

Thanks to everyone who was there. We have a really good thing going.

I'll have pictures to feature soon.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby skynet » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:31 am

I wish I could've been there, but I'll be unable to attend A.N. Nights for a little while longer because of a class I'm taking.

That sounds awesome though! Congratulations on another successful night and thanks from A.N. to all the people that showed up to have a good time.
skynet

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

The faces of AN Night.

From industry pros...

ANnightJan25_11a.jpg

To couples in love and engaged to be married.

ANnightJan25_11b.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 pm

The lovely ladies of AN Night. Beautiful, talented and fun to be around.

ANnightJan25_11c.jpg

ANnightJan25_11d.jpg

ANnightJan25_11e.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:14 am

With no guest speaker or anything else planned other than having some fun drawing, this is how AN Night January 25, 2011 looked.

ANnightJan25_11i.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion