animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

LA the rudest city in America?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

LA the rudest city in America?

Postby Charles » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:27 pm

LAcity.jpg

According to a Travel and Leisure survey, Los Angeles has the rudest people in America, leaving New York in second.

And it's no surprise to me I tell ya. This town has a lot of growing up to do.

Here's the way they list em, starting with No. 1 LA and then working backwards through the presentation.

Survey results.

MSN.com is conducting its own survey. The votes are still coming in, but with 80,806 votes cast as of this writing, here's how they went compared to the Travel and Leisure results.

Los Angeles
20% (16,297 votes)

New York
13% (10,823 votes)

Philadelphia
11% (8,643 votes)

Miami
6% (4,714 votes)

Washington, D.C.
8% (6,698 votes)

Boston
8% (6,351 votes)

Baltimore
2% (1,858 votes)

Las Vegas
4% (3,035 votes)

Orlando
2% (1,228 votes)

Dallas/Fort Worth
3% (2,330 votes)

Atlanta
2% (1,617 votes)

Phoenix/Scottsdale
3% (2,365 votes)

Memphis
1% (840 votes)

San Francisco
3% (2,443 votes)

Chicago
6% (4,482 votes)

Seattle
3% (2,803 votes)

Santa Fe
1% (484 votes)

Providence
1% (947 votes)

Houston
2% (1,611 votes)

Anchorage
2% (1,237 votes)

Daily Z

Charles

Re: LA the rudest city in America?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:30 am

Nope, not surprised at all.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:50 pm

It's really too bad that LA has developed this reputation. For a town that delves in fantasy as much as this one does, the reality of its society is becoming increasingly evident to all.

For all the beauty and positivity that LA has to offer, its character is questionable to the point where people would gladly go somewhere else than deal with the attitude of the town.

I could easily write a treatise about the behavior patterns of Angelenos. Rudeness in LA isn't just a phenomenon, it's a way of life and even an art form. Sometimes I wonder if the rude people of this city are aware at all of the way they are.

Check this out folks. There's a popular neighborhood grocery store I frequent that used to have a sign at checkout that read...

"Rudeness is a weak person's way of showing strength."

Well guess what. They had to take it down. Know why? Cuz the rude people that did their shopping there took offense.

That's what makes this place bizarre. It's just fine for the jerks in the city to behave like jerks, but when they get a dose of their own medicine, watch out. You might get sued.

Anyway, it's good to see Chicago way down on the list. Minneapolis didn't appear at all. That's one of the nicest cities people wise I've ever visited.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby skynet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:28 pm

These days it goes without saying. I've been calling LA "Los Assholes" (when spoken sounds like Los Angeles) for many years.

I grew up in LA but I had a different feeling about it back then. Whenever I'm on my way into LA now I feel like I'm sliding back into the oozing hell that it is.... at least I've learned in my own way to ignore the rudeness that is everywhere. When you're in LA you have to block the constant attack of madness or you will just go mad like the rest.

It's too bad.
skynet

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:35 pm

On a somewhat positive note, it seems to me that the rudeness of this place has leveled off a little. At least it's not getting any worse than it is and I feel that it may be getting a bit better here and there. Ever since the recession hit I think people are different, trying to be nicer to each other. I don't feel that it's as bad as it used to be, but it's still has a long long way to go before it can be a town as pleasant as #2 New York City.

I try and make a difference by being a contrarian. When everyone else goes around with a scowl on their face I like to smile. LA thinks that if you're nice you're either a fool, a chump, a sucker or stupid. That it's LA chic to be a self absorbed zombie. If enough people fight back with courtesy, maybe the mentality of being nice can sink in with these people and they'll understand that it's actually a show of the strength of your character.

Maybe it'll change. Maybe not. The secret to success is not letting this place change you.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:09 pm

I hear that! I'll be moving to Burbank in the next couple of weeks, however, a few weeks ago, I visited and noticed that cars DO NOT stop.

We just have to take it in stride and be the best people we can.

Also, wow! They actually made the grocery store take that sign down? That's pretty terrifying.
Richard

Return to General Discussion