animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

My Retro Webcomic

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

My Retro Webcomic

Postby dholverson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:56 am

Here is a link to my webcomic called "Sci Fi Guy!"

http://www.webcomicsnation.com/dholvrsn/scifiguy/series.php

The series starts here:

http://www.webcomicsnation.com/dholvrsn/scifiguy/series.php?view=single&ID=168600

With a name like that, obviously it takes place in Iowa during the Disco era..... :D

I'm doing the "Great American 1977 Fan Comic" that I wish that I had done back then; only 33-1/3 years late. Plus you don't see much nerd nostalgia that takes place before the 8-Bit era.

I tongue-in-cheekly call it "Transistor Punk" because they have cars, computers, televisions, telephones, etc, but it's all built with clunky obsolete technology.....
dholverson

Re: My Retro Webcomic

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:45 am

Good to see you back on the forums Doug.

Is this comic book something you've recently created / completed, or is it from the 80s? I can't tell. I think I see modern technology in this retro tale. Things like iPods and iPhones. I can relate to the scene, as I was living in Iowa during the disco years.

There's a lot of good draftsmanship in your work, and if you were in the LA area back in the 80s and 90s, you would've stood a good chance of working in animation as a BG designer and more likely a vehicle and prop designer.

Good luck with this and thanks for posting to the Gallery.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby dholverson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks for the good word. It's a recent ongoing project that's pretending to be old yellowed ditto fanzine from the '70s. The scary thing is that the first story alone may run 300-400 pages! :o

A little bit more on topic here are some cartoons inside of the cartoon pretending to be animations.

First, the bumpers for a fictitious Summer Replacement Comedy Variety Show.
Attachments
corndogs.jpg
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Part of a Terry Gillium and Don Martin influenced TV commercial for a fictitious Progressive FM station. This is the color original. The version shown in the webcomic (so far) was black & white.
Attachments
stoned.jpg
Last edited by dholverson on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:04 pm

The other part of the fake commercial with filler about how it was put together.
That's it for tonight before I go up to the Farm for Christmas.
Attachments
stonedtoo.jpg
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm going through some serious "why am I doing this?" feelings about Sci Fi Guy! I don't think that a Web Comic is quite the right format for it (just the one that's most readily available). I'd like to turn it into a graphic novel or comic book series, but I'm not sure how to do it or if it can even be done at this point. Any advice or anything? Thanks!
dholverson

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:13 pm

I think the Web is absolutely the best way to go with it for the time being.

It doesn't cost you anything other than the time it takes to create. Work the property and have fun with it.

Once you've got enough content developed consider making it available as an iPad/Pod/Phone app. I'm aware of a few artists who are doing this. They're making their portfolios available as a download for 99 cents $1.99 or $2.99 or something like that. You've got plenty of content with your comic book. Something to think about.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby dholverson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

After few weeks of frustration and doubt, Sci Fi Guy! is back tonight. http://www.webcomicsnation.com/dholvrsn ... series.php

Thanks for the advice. Now how do I make an iPad app if I don't have an iPad?
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:51 pm

PS: A sort of a freebie portfolio type thingie for those of you who can tolerate a ~300 MB download. http://rapidshare.com/files/449195581/holversonart.zip
dholverson

Return to A.N. Gallery