animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Greetings!

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Greetings!

Postby Sikanda » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Hello there!

I'm not sure how to start this post, but I have been wanting to really start posting and getting involved with these forums. I am so grateful first of all for this community being here and keeping such an open dialogue. I have struggled a lot over the years with wanting to do art and getting a job. I have felt guilty for wanting to pursue such a path for various reasons. I went to film school but would constantly sneak into the art department and even took a class with Charles.
But at the end of day I look around and of all the stuff I have collected from Beany and Cecil art to a wonderful autographed cell by Bakshi, I just love animation too much. I am also saddened by the state of the industry which doesn't help. I have wanted to for some time begin my own content and have a new beginning in art. I think a lot of what you guys have shared is very true about being independent.
When I was in high school a good friend of mine, his dad worked as a professional freelance animator like on Ninja Turtles and other saturday morning cartoons. He even worked at Disney televison.(Completely respected BTW I actually met the some people who loved him greatly) He would always tell us don't get into animation. He eventually had to move for 2 or 3 years to Korea to work on a cartoon and recently came back to Disney. I like him a lot, but I think a lot of that scared me honestly. Though at the end of the day I know what I love, so I have gathered together a group of friends and I am trying for all of us as a group to encourage for us to create. I wanted to share our blog as we begin this journey.

I'm sorry if this is an info dump but I feel I can't be completely alone on this and I just wanted to get some of my thoughts to other artists who have it more together then I do. Thank you again Charles.

best,
Heidi

http://drawingdreamland.blogspot.com/
Sikanda

Re: Greetings!

Postby Charles » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Hello Sikanda / Heidi. Welcome to AN! Good to see you here. :)

It's a tough business to break into and to be in. Focus on your art. That should be the only thing you think about when it comes to animation. Get as good as you can possibly get. Really dedicate yourself every day to achieving consistent excellence in your work. The better you get, the more appealing and intriguing your art becomes, the more people will be attracted to what you do and the bigger your fan base and following will become.

It's not necessarily about getting into the animation business per se. It's about developing your personal franchise. Even when you break into animation your job is only one aspect of you as a franchise. Many people working in animation are lost in the muck and mire of the biz. They don't get the opportunity to discover who they really are as artists and they don't get to the point where they can effectively communicate that to the world. The ones that do wind up making it on their own. They can crowdfund a project and become successful simply because there's a couple of thousand fans who love what they do and support them.

Many paths to success. Don't limit yourself to just one road that everybody is trying to squeeze into. You're better off in the long run becoming artistically great than trying to make it in a business that will not fully appreciate you.

KEEP CREATING no matter what and continue to improve. You'll see the difference it makes in your life. ;)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Sikanda » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Hey Charles,

Thanks you for being so accessible to people and giving advice. I have lost a lot of confidence over the years. I am actually looking to learn special effects which I think will go hand and hand with everything I do in art. I am going to intern soon on a film and learn Zombie makeup which is in demand right now. I have done a lot of different things with live action as a PA and a Production Designer and it can be fun, but its still not leaving me whole. I am definitely looking to improve in my art.

Can I ask what you mean when you say, that your job is only one aspect of the franchise? What are the other aspects? Thanks.
Sikanda

Postby Charles » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:26 pm

There's your job, there's your personal projects, there's your fan base, there's your independent economy, etc.

Someone I know who works at one of the major studios considers himself to be independent. Even though he has union membership and does the day to day report to work and put in your hours routine, he considers that a piece of the overall pie that defines his professional career. It doesn't define who he is or what he does in his totality.

Immerse yourself in your creativity and explore and educate yourself in the many options that are available to artists today that can enhance their careers outside of what would be a normal job. More and more artists are becoming successful independently and some of them are doing better than if they were in a studio situation.

Keep this in mind as you go forward with what you do. Don't get down or discouraged and if you find yourself that way don't stay there for too long. Keep learning new things and continuously improve upon your art. Build a community around you and someday this base will be a big part of your creative success.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Sikanda » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Thank you so much! I have a few goals. One of my favorite comedians is Adam Carolla. He said he didn't have a plan for his career instead he had things he wanted to accomplish, like write a book, make a pilot, make a movie. I think that approach is very helpful as a better yardstick.
I definitely suffer from getting down on myself. I have come to a different appreciation for those who are independent or developing new concepts and ideas.

thanks Charles for letting me chat like this ;)

best,
Heidi
Sikanda

Postby Sikanda » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:38 pm

update!

New work from me and people in my group. I have even attempted a ball bounce. But the bounce was not complete cause the program I have is only 60 frames. Also first attempt to color with markers.Image

http://drawingdreamland.blogspot.com/
Sikanda

Return to A.N. Gallery