animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Video Game Concept Art

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Video Game Concept Art

Postby cifala » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 pm

hi again...I've returned seeking some feedback on some character stock art I've done for a game I'm designing. the idea behind the game is to pay homage to as well as give an examination of video games from the 1990s (specifically platformers but there's really a mix of everything), and thus the art represents that. some of you might notice it bears a resemblance to the old programmer art of the classic Pokemon titles on the Game Boy...this is intentional. while I originally didn't have access to real watercolours myself, I developed in a style that tributes that as well as provides something unique in its design. I like it so much I've decided to stick with it. anyways, enough rambling - here's the art. let me know what you think (organized from oldest to newest):

Hero Characters
Tim the Flazo (Apr 2012)
Tim prepares a fireball attack (Nov 2012)

Enemy Characters
Hukatop, spinning defender of Sun World (Apr 2012)
Needle, prickly nuisance of the Wayward Forest (Apr 2012)
Nijitori, discreet pilot of the Thunder Cloud (Nov 2012)
Twistere, mighty guardian of the Thunder Cloud (Jan 2013)

i'm eager to hear what you think. if you're interest I can provide more - plus some details on the game itself. cheers
cifala

Re: Video Game Concept Art

Postby Charles » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:42 am

Hi cifala. Thanks for posting to AN's Gallery. You can improve your designs by taking the time to learn a little more about character design. Some basic fundamentals are missing from the work you have displayed. Important aspects of the art such as construction and ways to enhance the appeal of the designs. Although the concepts are interesting and have potential they lack the dynamics of a professional presentation quality. If you research character design on the Web I'm sure you'll find some helpful information and tips. Improving the presentation quality of your work draw more attention and enthusiasm to to your project, pun semi intended. Good luck and follow up with us on the next pass and as you continue to progress with your project.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby cifala » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 am

thanks for the feedback. i found a couple of resources I'll be examining before I start up again. in the meanwhile, here's a new character I designed last week. let me know if it's any improvement.

Treed'oh, first miniboss of Axle City (Jan 2013)
cifala

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:10 pm

There is an improvement. The design is better and reads as a stronger graphic overall. It's important to have your character designs at a professional level if you're looking to attract a broad audience and you want your project to be taken seriously.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Ellorioh » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 am

Your drawings remind me of Pokemon.
Ellorioh

Postby cifala » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 am

awesome, that's the look I'm going for with these. homage and all etc.

anyways, here's a new character. took some time to detail the outline a bit better. happy with everything except for the tail (too angular):

Drakey, pursuitant of the Sun World Fortress (Feb 2013)
cifala

Postby Ellorioh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:16 am

The drawing looks a bit better than the others. On the hands you should work a bit more and the mouth looks kind of funny. I find the neck too thin for its length, but that's just my own opinion. One can see the reference to Pokemon in any case. How many creatures do you want to invent?
Ellorioh

Postby cifala » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:03 am

I'm going to be doing at least 25 characters, some related to others, mostly all unique though. Here is a new one I did early in the month:

Friginaut, the ice ogre (August 2013).
cifala

Return to A.N. Gallery