animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Some Charcter design work.

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Some Charcter design work.

Postby jjohnson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:25 pm

I was going to sign a contract to illustrate an independent comic book, but unfortunately, I was diagnosed with a double hernia (which I just had surgery on yesterday), and a couple of other health issues that were all going to make it impossible for me to finish the project with the quality of work that I wanted to produce in the time frame I had to complete the project. I was very disappointed at needing to turn down this project but I have to get my health in order. It was not a total lose to me though because the preliminary character work I did on it to help me land the project turned out pretty good, and I learned a lot in the process of doing the art. I thought I would show you all one of the character design pieces I did for my vision of the main character. I'm showing the art from pencil sketch to final painting....
jjohnson

Re: Some Charcter design work.

Postby jjohnson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:49 pm

Here is the pencil art and the ink only art....
Attachments
pencil.jpg
ink_only.jpg
ink
Last edited by jjohnson on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjohnson

Postby jjohnson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Here is the Background art with the inked character in flat color.....
Attachments
background_ink_flat_color.jpg
jjohnson

Postby jjohnson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Here is the final art.....
Attachments
final_color.jpg
jjohnson

Postby jjohnson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:00 pm

The owner of the independent comic company was really happy with my work and said he would like me to work on another project with him when I get my health issues under control. I really hope I can do that!
jjohnson

Postby Charles » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:51 am

John, this is one of the best images I've seen from you. No surprise your client was happy with it. You did a really good job. Keep it up man! Good luck with what you're dealing with. Once it's taken care of you'll be good to go again! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jjohnson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks so much Charles! Really glad that you liked it! That really means a lot to me!
jjohnson

Return to A.N. Gallery