animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

New to animation

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

New to animation

Postby Shelley » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Hey guys!

So I wrote a sketch that I really wanted to make, but I just couldn't imagine it live action. I have a friend who's done a few small animated comics. He said he used Flash, which was a program I have, but hadn't really used before. I figured now was as good a time as any. So last week, I bought a Wacom Bamboo tablet and got started.

It's a long way from being finished, but here is an animation test for one of my characters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjOtGRCt1w

(I tried to embed the video using the "youtube" tag, but I wasn't able to. Sorry!)

I'd love to have feedback and critique!

I hope to have more soon!
Shelley

Re: New to animation

Postby Charles » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi Shelley. Welcome to AN!

Here's how to embed YouTube video. Paste this part of the url between the YouTube brackets...

xMjOtGRCt1w

And this is the result...

Check the mouth of your character. See how the head is in a 3/4 front position but the mouth is animated in a profile position? If both aspects of the design are in the same place perspective wise you can rectify the conflicting elements.

Good luck and thanks for posting your video.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby NOREKdecay » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 pm

its a nice first of the tries. I like that you included the nose in the animation, and I notice that you also did bits on the jaw and not the whole jawline. Good luck with more Flash try outs :)
NOREKdecay

Postby Shelley » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:32 pm

I know it's late, but I wanted to thank you both for your replies!!!
Life got very busy for me after I started this project. I've been able to work on it a little, but not as much as I'd like. It looks like I'm finally going to be able to sink a little more time into it, though, thankfully.

Charles: Thank you so much for pointing out the problem with the perspective. I did not realize it when I was designing the character. I'm going to keep it for this project. I know it's wrong, but I don't think it will hurt the concept I'm shooting for. And ultimately it will be a benchmark of where I started skill-wise. I will, however, learn from the mistake and try to correct it with any future projects.

NOREKdecay: Thank you so much for the kind words! I really appreciate the encouragement! It genuinely meant a lot to me!

Anyway, thanks again! I hope I can be more active on the forum and hopefully have some updates of my project to get more feedback.
Shelley

Return to A.N. Gallery