animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

My new Super Hero Greeting Card design....

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

My new Super Hero Greeting Card design....

Postby jjohnson » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:30 am

This is my newest greeting card design. I created it using a Super Hero that I first made up when I was 9 or 10 years old! Back then I called him Lightning Volt. For my updated / re-boot of the character, I first designed so many years ago, I changed his look and his name to Lightning Bolt! I plan to design a whole line of cards for boys around this guy for my online greeting card store, The Village Greetings.....

new_new_low_res_Lightning_bolt_greeting_card.jpg

Here's the original blue line sketch along with the black line inking I did in Illustrator CS5. I finished off the color image above in Photoshop CS5.....

Lightning_bolt_line art_low-res_greeting_card.jpg

Here's a look at the way I drew him way back when I was 9 or 10 years old. It's fun to look back on the way we drew things as young children!.....

Lightning_volt_old_school_low_res_version.jpg
jjohnson

Re: My new Super Hero Greeting Card design....

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Good stuff John! About the time you were drawing Lightning Bolt as a kid I was at Hallmark developing a super hero character for them that could've been his brother! Very ironic. This is a good idea. You can develop a character property through greetings cards.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jjohnson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Just wanted to share some good news......I posted more info on my blog but, long story short, I'm going to be illustrating an independently published comic book! Please check my blog from time to time because I will be posting some of the work in progress on my blog and also here in the gallery when the publisher gives me the ok to show some of the work! I'm very excited about this project.....and hope it leads to more work with the character! Here is a link to my blog post about it.......
http://johnjohnsonillustrations.blogspo ... y-way.html
Wish me luck!......I've never done a project this big before!
jjohnson

Postby Charles » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:12 am

Congratulations John! You'll do a great job. It's your time for a project like this. Good luck!

Daily Z

Charles

Return to A.N. Gallery