animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

"Silent Wishes" The horrors of war...

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

"Silent Wishes" The horrors of war...

Postby Mhle Nzima » Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 am

Set in war-torn Southern Africa, the story follows a young princess' doomed journey of discovery.Princess Salani is secretly offered up as a sacrifice to her ancestors in the King's bid to end the gruesome realities of wars.

Background Note: I wrestled with the idea of how graphic I should make the visuals for the intro war scenes and finally decided to make them as gruesome/explicit as possible to highlight the extremities of the horrors the characters would fear. As such,some content might be too extreme for kids so please bear with me. This was my 2nd film and 1st actually ANIMATED work, which earned me an award as 2010's Most Promising Zimbabwean Director at the Zimbabwe International Film Festival. It was further nominated for Outstanding Screen Production (Film) at the 2010 National Arts Merit Awards. Since I was an anime studio noob, I had many restrictions as to what I could do with my characters, but fortunately for me, I found the story wasn't that demanding animation wise, however I believe I could have made it far better with more time and experience. I hope you all enjoy it.
Mhle Nzima

Re: "Silent Wishes" The horrors of war...

Postby Charles » Mon May 07, 2012 12:29 pm

You make films that embrace powerful subjects. Enjoyed watching this and thank you for posting the video. The audio is faint and it was hard to hear what the characters were saying. On your next project consider turning up the volume a little more when your characters are involved with dialogue and this will help with the viewing experience.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: "Silent Wishes" The horrors of war...

Postby Mhle Nzima » Tue May 08, 2012 6:11 am

Glad you liked it. As one of my first efforts, I was forced to use an unprofessional sound recording environment and equipment, so the audio was pretty much the best I could do at the time. I have since started using a professional sound recording studio for my films though. Thanks so much for the critique.
Mhle Nzima

Return to A.N. Gallery