animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Last Night's Lesson

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Last Night's Lesson

Postby Charles » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:15 am

Thought I'd try something a little different on the Gallery by starting a topic dedicated to the showcasing lessons from the evening's previous class at The Animation Academy in Burbank.

Sharing the educational experience.

Last night a student in Character Design asked for assistance in a specific direction. He was having difficulty simplifying his concept designs so they would work in a more animated context. Most of what he was doing was too realistic and he needed help turning his characters into something different than his usual approach.

I began by letting him describe to me a character he had in mind, and from his description, I drew this in a manner similar to the way he was handling things, with a few stylistic embellishments of my own.

ToughGuyFace1a.jpg

Then I drew another design where I purposely distorted, exaggerated and simplified elements from the previous sketch.

ToughGuyFace2a.jpg

I finished up with a very graphic interpretation of the character even more simplified than before, eliminating everything but the essential features necessary to communicate the design.

ToughGuyFace3a.jpg

This helped him, and perhaps it can help others out there who may be dealing with similar issues in their work.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Last Night's Lesson

Postby Charles » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Here's a lesson from class about how to manage conceptual character sketches by relating them to production.

The original concept design for this guy involved drawing the character with his arms at his side.

LastNightLesson2.jpg

By drawing just one arm extended to the side with palm facing the viewer, essential information is included in the concept appropriate for digital modeling of the design.

LastNightLesson2a.jpg

By duplicating the extended arm, copying it over to the other side of the character and erasing the original arms in Photoshop, the design is in the proper format for CG modeling.

LastNightLesson2b.jpg

You can also draw both versions of the arms simultaneously, extended for modeling, and at the sides for a natural pose.

LastNightLesson2c.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu May 03, 2012 11:57 pm

This was last night's lesson last week on this night. Got out my brushes and acrylics and had fun with a traditional painting demo for Visual Development. Everyone enjoyed it and we all had a good time.

LastNightLesson3.jpg

Last night in Vis Dev I showed how a simple tonal drawing done with Col-erase blue pencil could be enhanced with the use of Photoshop by virtue of transparent tints.

FunnyFace1.jpg

FunnyFace2.jpg

FunnyFace3.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri May 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Last night in the Visual Development class I teach, I was working with my students to get them to grow into a medium that will abridge their image manipulation options. In other words, a permanent medium such as black line. The intent was to encourage confidence and discipline in the execution of their personal art.

In this demonstration I was helping them to understand how to develop a concept sketch with a suggestion of dimensionality and form as well as appeal in design and pose.

LastNightLesson5.jpg

Next, I used blue pencil to layout the image, create a middle tone for certain shapes and punch everything with both solid black areas and black line.

LastNightLesson6.jpg

Fun stuff, plus I did even more which I'll follow up with later.

The great thing about making demos a part of the educational experience is that they get everyone motivated, both in terms of showing how it's done as well as stimulating imaginative concepts. The energy that comes back through my students inspires me to create even more.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to A.N. Gallery