animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

My Attempt of Character Design... Criticism Very Welcome

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

My Attempt of Character Design... Criticism Very Welcome

Postby kkane97 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:01 pm

So I have decided to try my hand at hand drawing my new characters after my last animation (Of Mice And Men Part Five - The End) i figured i would try to make my animations more realistic. Im not the greatest artist. I have only taken basic art classes at school, but i dont think they came out all that bad. I am working on a new short sort of like a roadrunner wiley coyote. I have 2 characters Harry Hawk and _____ Squirrel (no name yet). In my head i pictured the squirrel being very quirky and excited (roadrunner) and the Hawk to be flightless and stupid (Wiley. I hope you enjoy them and if you have any ideas for improvements I will take them in full heartedly =]. The second image is my first drawings of the 2 the first is a help plea i cant figure out how to draw Harry's facing the front? Any ideas?
Attachments
00.jpg
Maybe you can give me some tips on drawing a front beak?
001.jpg
I know the squirrels head got cut off im going to redraw him later tonight.
kkane97

Re: My Attempt of Character Design... Criticism Very Welcome

Postby Car t00n » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:51 pm

First, good drawings, I just have afew questions.

The squirrel is going to be smaller than the hawk right? Usually the quirky innocent character is smaller than the big bad antagonist. Plus squirrels are jus smaller than hawks

For the hawk- he just looks like a hawk, if he's going to be a villain, mr bad guy, then maybe have him hunched over or a vicious sneer, darker eyebrows usually help convey evilness. Add a sneer plus darker brows = EVIL

that's just my opinion! Looking forward to more!
Car t00n

Postby kkane97 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:58 pm

I LOVE IT! I was just doodling around so i dont have any proportions yet but i love the hawk idea =] Thanks post edited drawings soon, i made my self a cool light table today so i can change little things easier than redrawing the whole thing =]
kkane97

Postby kkane97 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 pm

I have changed a few things on harry, beefed up his arms ( i know cheesy) and i gave him some brows. I have also redrawn ____ Squirrel to actually fit on the paper =] tomorrow i am going to work on different angles for both of them maybe a head turn sequence.
Attachments
squirrel.jpg
Mad.jpg
kkane97

Postby JK Riki » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:11 am

In terms of drawing a front beak, your best bet is to find reference you like and see what they do right.

Animator Island: A resource for animators featuring weekly tips, tricks, and secrets of animation
JK Riki

Postby kkane97 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks for the references there ill try a few different combos :-. Im in school now cant wait to get home to try them out :-)
kkane97

Return to A.N. Gallery