animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Critique Wanted on Short Skateboard Animation

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Critique Wanted on Short Skateboard Animation

Postby oknplm » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Hey guys, this is a little something I worked on with the spare time I had in class. My classmates says that the weight looks good but if you guys can tear it apart and maybe even drop some advice, that would be awesome.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bomv0LEuU9k

I'd love to hear from you
oknplm

Re: Critique Wanted on Short Skateboard Animation

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Let's embed the video...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby creative » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:24 pm

Nice animation dude :) Here's my review:

I think the over all flow was good, but here are some things you should improve;

The arms:
The arms were very stiff, throughout the entire clip and specially during the jump and landing. Remember that even pro skaters rely on their hands for balance, so maintaining a fist is not very ideal.

The upper body, from bisept to chest:
The feel of the ride was good and felt natural enough. your physics also worked very well, but where it lacked was during the landing. As this might had work if it was a shorter distance in hight, here it didn't, it looked a bit awkward.

Remember that gravity plays a big role on how a body behaves in space, so as it landed the impact of hitting the ground should had brought the body down in some sort of crouch, also like i said before, by relying on your hands for balance, they should spread apart on crouch. And to stimulate pressure, you should ease up as he rises.

Also, If you were going for the illusion of a second platform, the way you handled the camera work kinda messed it up, it looked more like a skip than a follow through.

Over all, Good Job Mate!
I subbed your channel, am really looking forward to seeing you grow as an animator. Best of Luck!

What software did you use? Blender?
creative

Postby Yarim » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi. Its looking nice man.
However... it's a little difficult o judge because all of the camera movement... I would make an unpload of the video without those camera movements so we can see whats going on with the body mechanics. As I can see the thing you have nail on is the timing... everything happens when it needs to be to feel real. The problem Im having is with the weight of the character. Pay attention to shoulders and hips, that's where most of the weight is always accentuated. the arms should follow trough and they are very stiff and not reacting very well. Looks like the camera is trying to hide those mistakes... watch out for that, it really shows. Most of the stuff can be fix in the graph editor, so don't add any key frames in there, work extra hard in getting those arms correct and the animation will be much more successful. I hope this helps!:)Keep on the good work!
Yarim

Return to A.N. Gallery