animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

First drawing of Filmation's She-Ra 1984

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

First drawing of Filmation's She-Ra 1984

Postby Charles » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Here's one for the animation history buffs out there, and something I take pleasure in.

There's an organization called The Power and The Honor Foundation which is dedicated to preserving the art and legacy of the He-Man and She-Ra franchises from the 1980s.

I met the principles of the group last September in LA at a convention they sponsored called the Powercon.

I learned they had been accumulating original art associated with the animated series. I have a big collection of the work I did, but I guess I don't have everything I did.

Recently, they sent copies of some of what they've acquired. Among them, the very first drawing of She-Ra Princess of Power. I was on the development team for the show and there were several of us coming up with design art. This was the first drawing I did of the character, and as I recall, the first that was done by our group. This is from the summer of 1984.

Click on the image for a better view.

OriginalSheRa1984.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Re: First drawing of Filmation's She-Ra 1984

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:06 am

There's much more never before seen artwork from both He-Man and She-Ra that I'll be working with the Power and Honor Foundation to archive.

In the meantime, I want to publicly thank them for the efforts they've made to preserve the art from these very important and significant animated series from the golden age of 80s TV animation.

http://wwww.powerandhonor.org/

Daily Z

Charles

Return to A.N. Gallery