animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Richard Chavez at The Animation Academy - Jan 24 '12

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Richard Chavez at The Animation Academy - Jan 24 '12

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 pm

We had a surprise visitor to the Character Design class at my school earlier this week.

My good friend and long time colleague, the one and only Richard Chavez.

RichardChavez2a.jpg

If you're familiar with his work, you're aware of just how incredibly brilliant of an artist he is. His career spans many years, starting with DIC doing TV animation work in the 1980s, to Disney Features with stops in between, and then on to DreamWorks, Sony Pictures Animation, and now back to DreamWorks once again.

His feature work is particularly amazing as is his place in animation history.

He worked in Visual Development on Mulan, was among the original group of artists recruited from Disney by Mr. Katzenberg to start DreamWorks Feature Animation, co-art directed Prince of Egypt, designed on Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron, and also Sinbad.

He was literally, the very first artist to go on staff with Sony Pictures Animation when they launched their feature division. He went from Open Season, to Surf's Up, to Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, and is now spearheading Visual Development on new super secret projects at DreamWorks.

His work isn't online yet, there's no site dedicated to his art, but there will be someday, and when you see what this man has done you'll be walking around with a drool bucket. I'm working on getting him to go in the direction of showcasing his art. Someday the world will be able to see and experience his magnificent creative skills.

Meanwhile, I'll be posting a few more photos of his visit.

Richard is now associated with The Animation Academy in Burbank and will be making more frequent appearances along with spending time helping to educate our students.

Back in a minute with some pictures.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Richard Chavez at The Animation Academy - Jan 24 '12

Postby Charles » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Richard brought along not one, not two, or three, but four portfolios. Imagine four portfolios full of amazing development artwork from some of the most significant features of the modern animation era, including development art for film projects that never went into production.

In this shot, Richard is giving a few design tips.

RichardChavez5a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Richard Chavez at The Animation Academy - Jan 24 '12

Postby Charles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 am

A couple more photos of Mr. Chavez working with our students.

RichardChavez4a.jpg

RichardChavez1a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

You're sooo lucky!!!

Postby creative » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:58 pm

WHOA! must had been such an Honor to be in the presence of such a legend! I envy you my friend, but in a good way. I so happy for you that R. Chavez will be doing regular visits to you school and spending time to help teach! that is AWESOME! I wish i was there, I bet there is sooo much you can learn with just a few minutes of his lecture! Congrats! :D
creative

Return to A.N. Gallery