animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Beautiful Italian art and architecture!!

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Beautiful Italian art and architecture!!

Postby jjohnson » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 am

I just love Italian art and architecture, but I may never get to go there in person (I hope to someday though!!). But, I love that I can see it like this on the internet! Just hold down the left mouse button and move around the room. You can move in and out also. It's almost, but not quite, as good as being there. It will have to do for me for now! Hope you all enjoy them as much as I did:

http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_giovanni/vr_tour/index-en.html
jjohnson

Re: Beautiful Italian art and architecture!!

Postby Charles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Those are great links, thanks John. I was at the Vatican Museum in the 90s and I'll never forget the experience. When I got to the Sistine Chapel, I was awestruck. As it turned out, the only spot that was the center of the floor. The visitors were congregating closer to the walls. So for around 20 minutes I stood in the center of the Sistine Chapel, right below where God and Adam are touching fingers. I thought to myself, this is my moment in the history of this place. At this juncture of time and space, it is my fortunate destiny to be standing here in the heart of the Sistine Chapel, with a space all my own, to wonder at the marvel of this great work.

The link you posted took me right back to that moment.

Something else I'd like to mention as a result of what I saw. I remember when there was a big controversy about cleaning the frescoes, getting rid of centuries of soot and grime. Some people thought that Michelangelo purposely tinted his paintings and it was his intention to mute the colors. After seeing the Sistine Chapel for myself, I can say with certainty as far as my opinion goes, that this was not the case. From everything else I saw at the Vatican Museum, it looked to me that his frescoes started a trend of ceiling paintings. They were all over the place following the Chapel, and everything was in brilliant color.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:16 am

I especially like the copyright for the Vatican. priceless.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Jose Saenz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Wow! Great links! Thanks for sharing.
Jose Saenz

Return to A.N. Gallery