animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Help me learn Guys

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Help me learn Guys

Postby archie1st » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:34 am

Ive fallen out of confidence with my style and my drawings so im going back to teach myself with a new blog. Using the preston Blair book i hope to make myself a better cartoonist.

On top of that ive made myself a drawing schedule to practice for so many hours a day and to not only this book but to also look at other styles of drawing to help add variation to my pretty limited style.

Sorry for my wordy blog, but if anyone wishes to help me and critique my work i would be extremely grateful. I only have one post so far but more are on the way.

www.archie-archielearningdoodle.blogspot.com
archie1st

Re: Help me learn Guys

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:33 am

Keep us updated about your progress Archie. I'm interested in seeing where you go with your new blog.

Start off with learning to draw a solid circle. Turn it around, look at it backwards, see where the flaws are in the form and correct them. Draw a horizontal and then a vertical ellipse within the circle to establish dimension and depth of field. Make sure they are in the proper perspective for the angle of tilt you're establishing. That's the first thing to focus on when drawing a cartoon head in the traditional of Preston Blair.

You don't need money to get started with lessons in figure drawing or lessons with drawing in general. Google "figure drawing site" and see how many resources turn up. Do the same thing with YouTube. Search for "drawing lessons" and see what turns up. There's a lot of info available online that will help you make big strides in a wide area of approaches to art.

You're doing the right thing by developing a work schedule. Go one step beyond and get in the habit of taking along something to sketch with wherever you go. It will help you stay productive and also help with organizing ideas and concepts.

The most important advice I can offer you at this moment in time and space is to stay productive and be patient. What you're attempting to accomplish is not something that happens overnight. Like any other highly specialized field, it takes time, and dedicated effort to master. In art as with all other subjects of passion, professionalism and humanity, it is a life's endeavor, or endeavour as you may spell the word over there.

Are you going to be an artist? Then that is who you are. That is how you will define yourself, or at least an aspect of you that is a significant part of who you are. Embrace it.

Good luck bro. Stick with it and have fun. Make it fun and something exciting for yourself and you'll enjoy the journey all the more.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm gonna try something here. I have notes that I've compiled as a result of my classes. I've saved some of them from my time working off a Cintiq and a projector. I'm going to clean them up a little and edit the text. Happy to share them with you as this will help me prep for something else I have in the works.

This is the basis for drawing characters utilizing the Preston Blair method. It's also the basis for good basic drawing, especially when drawing from the imagination. Practice this Archie, as well as the other things that will follow.

CharacterFundamentals1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:44 pm

What you're seeing here is important. Practice drawing this until it comes second nature to you. Click on the image for a better view.

CharacterFundamentals2.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby archie1st » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks Charles, i shall study this carefully and then i shall try and upload some work in the next day or two.
archie1st

Postby archie1st » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 am

New studies. Critique welcome. Thanks

Im trying to make these more regular. Unfortunately i have no job any more due to a contract termination. Sad times.

http://archie-archielearningdoodle.blog ... awing.html
archie1st

Postby Charles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:40 am

Take your time Archie. You're still rushing it / not giving the subject enough effort and attention. I can see the progress you're making with your circles and I see that you're aware that you need to continue working at it. This may seem mundane, but it's a very important aspect of developing your basic skills.

I'm on the road at the moment. When I'm back in town at the batcave I'll see about prepping more material for you from my archives. Meanwhile keep at it. Don't be discouraged. Stick with it, take your time, be productive and you'll get better with each passing day.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby archie1st » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Thank you Charles i shall continue to update. :)
archie1st

Postby archie1st » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:12 am

My PC is broken so i havent been able to do any lessons :(
Trying to get it fixed as soon as possible
archie1st

Postby archie1st » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 am

PC up and running again, going to have some updates on my blog as soon as possible.
archie1st

Postby archie1st » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 am

http://archie-archielearningdoodle.blogspot.com/

Huzzah my blog is running again. I havent had much time to study since losing my job and it being christmas and all but i have managed to put up two posts on my blog for you kind people to browse and critique if you wish. Thanks :)
archie1st

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Hey Archie, glad things worked out.

It's evident that you're getting a better command of your drawing skills.

Take a look at the suggestions I've included.

ArchieHeadDrawing.jpg

Preston Blair's drawing of this character is in error. The proper dimensionality of the ears in relation to the head is flawed. Proper perspective and depth of field leaves something to be desired. He's a truly great artist but we all make little adjustments here and there.

In sample 1, I've blackened in the image in deference to the ears. Doesn't it look like a full front view of the character's head by the way the eras are positioned?

In samples 2 and 3, I've redrawn the ears so they work in true perspective and proper dimensionality.

Use these lessons that you're picking up from Blair, myself and others and create original characters. Put them to use by coming up with your own creations. Copying is helpful, but your goal is to generate original content. Let's see what you come up with. Have fun, I'm confident you'll do well.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby JK Riki » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 am

Something that helped me immensely when continuing the learning process (because come on, you're never REALLY done) was to do a lot of life drawing, even from photos. I spent a long, long time drawing nothing but cartoons, and that was helpful in some ways. It wasn't until I started drawing from life, though, that moving on to stylized cartooning really started taking shape a lot more.

Consider getting your foundation built not so much in cartoons as drawing in general. Life drawing goes a LONG way in helping your overall craft, not just drawing what you see in front of you.

Good luck, and keep at it!
Animator Island: A resource for animators featuring weekly tips, tricks, and secrets of animation
JK Riki

Postby archie1st » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:21 am

Back with more studies guys.

Im goign to start putting more of my own imagination into these rather than copying from a book or influences.

Ive also managed to find some free life drawing lessons close to home so expect to see more of that coming up on my blog.

But until then here are some of my most recent studies

http://archie-archielearningdoodle.blog ... rning.html

I feel like im showing less on my blog than when i first started but i feel the overall quality is better given that im taking more time into each drawing.

Thanks Again :)
archie1st

Postby Charles » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Your line work is improving and I can see you're making progress.

I still feel you're rushing it. Slow down and spend more time on each sketch.

Slow down and spend more time on each sketch.

I hope that repeating it will impress upon you how important it is that you take your time and focus on the quality of each individual drawing. Discipline yourself to address each individual drawing and give it the time and effort that it needs to be excellent.

I made a few notes on one of your sketches below. Look at the arms, the hands, the legs and feet. They don't match up. Notice especially how one foot is longer than the other. Same with the arms and hands. Get your appendages to reflect the same corresponding shape.

Learn to fully articulate your character. Show the centerline, where does the arm bend at the elbow, where's the knee, where does the leg connect to the body, etc.

These are fundamental elements that you should be including in your character sketches when you're drawing in this manner. It's not an option, it's a necessity. Take this approach and incorporate this information into the composition, along with taking your time and bringing your drawing to completion, if you want to achieve a professional level with your work.

Let's see some original material. Take what you're learning and apply it in a uniquely imaginative way.

Keep at it and good luck!

ArchieDrawing1b.jpg

ArchieDrawing1a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Here's another version. I redrew the far arm to better match the other.

ArchieDrawing1c.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby JK Riki » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:52 am

Awesome touch ups, Charles! Really spot on. I do sort of like the curve in the original far arm... But both ways certainly have their appeal.
Animator Island: A resource for animators featuring weekly tips, tricks, and secrets of animation
JK Riki

Postby archie1st » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:47 am

Cheers guys, ive been away from my studies for a week or two due my dire job situation but i have other junk at www.archie-archiedoodle.blogspot.com which is just fun stuff i post.

More studies soon.

Ive also got some life drawing classes going which are immense. :)
archie1st

Return to A.N. Gallery