animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

here is one of my drawings

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

here is one of my drawings

Postby palmtree » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:02 pm

hello everyone here is one of my drawing It's a charactor called Shadow wing it took about a week to do it et me know what you think
Untitled-1.jpg
palmtree

Re: here is one of my drawings

Postby tstevens » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:00 am

It is a good start. Do you have any rough sketches leading up to it?

Try to sketch your ideas quickly. I would say that you should try to get to the point where you can get a good pose down in a few minutes and then add the detail on top of it. All of your drawings should start with a basic structure. If you look at any Disney "making of" book you'll see lots of great "rough" drawings. After you get that basic structure (think of it as being like the framing to a house) you can lay in detail. Things like hands usually start off as a basic mitten shape with a thumb and heads are a basic circular or oval shape with cross hairs indicating where the features lay.

For rough drawings you may want to use a light colored pencil. Most animators tend to use ColErase by prismacolor. Light blue, Blue and Carmine Red are fairly popular. After you get the structured layed in you can use a regular pencil to draw the final lines. For a clean drawing, lay a new sheet of paper over the rough and redraw it using a light table to see the rough.

This book shows really good examples of rough and clean drawings...

http://www.amazon.com/Draw-Looney-Tunes ... 369&sr=8-1

Just look at the thumbnail examples on this link and you can see what I am talking about.
tstevens

Postby palmtree » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Yes I had many rough drafts before this one I spent a lot of time on this. and I do have all the tools for the drawing and I know about the the process but I don't think I can do it people keep putting me down and when I come up with a picture I like. I don't know what to say I tried
palmtree

Postby jjohnson » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Tstevens wasn't putting you down Joshua. He said your drawing was a good start. He is talking to you about the rough under drawing with basic shapes to get the structure down like you an I talked about on facebook the other day. It really is the best way to work. Keep practicing using these steps and you will get better and better! Keep your sketch book with you and draw as often as you can, the more you draw the better you will get. Don't get frustrated, it's easy to see that you put a lot into your drawing! Keep at it and keep posting your progress.
jjohnson

Postby palmtree » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 am

I know about that but I feel I hav worked so long but still stuck. as for the scetch book I however don't have the money to get one I am barly able to eat. It's just one bad thing after another I am sorry if I offended anyone with my last post but I really don't go an where andI just can't affored anything I am just in a bad sication I know there isn't a thing any one can do and it's a problem I got to solve on my own however when it seems hopless you don't really know how to feel. and it's effecting my art. I just wish I could somehow get over this. I need classes education, and most of all confondednce but it all cost money which I don't have. thanks for everything and I am sorry if I offended anyone I just need a confondence boost.
palmtree

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:00 pm

I suggest, as far as your art goes, that you lay off the shading/rendering for the time being and focus exclusively on mastering the illusion of form. Concentrate on shapes and basic fundamentals of drawing such as construction. Keep it simple. Can't emphasize that enough. Master simplicity of design first, then you'll have a foundation for adding complexity to your composition if you choose. Look at Preston Blair's book "Animation". The beginning of the book is a good example of how to approach the basics of character design. If you can't afford to buy the book, see if it's available at the public library.

Secondly, as far as your personal situation is concerned. With all respect, I know it's difficult for you, but I know people who have it even tougher. A mother and her 2 little kids who lost their dad and lost their home and have to live as guests in someone's small apartment. A man with 3 teenage sons and whose wife has medical problems. He lost his business, lost his million dollar home, and they all live in a one room basement at his in-law's place.

I could go on, but the point I'm making is that none of them are giving up and although their challenges are daunting, they persevere.

The best thing you could do for yourself artistically is to develop the discipline to draw every day. Not just characters for a comic book, but using your art to help you learn who you are and building a fundamental foundation that will help you make a unique creative statement.

As with everything else in life, it takes time, energy, and dedicated focus to achieve excellence in any given field and this one is no exception by any means.

Hang in there, good luck and if you want to make it as an artist, then keep creating and don't stop creating.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby palmtree » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:14 pm

hello everyone first of all I would like to say I am sorry I have been having poblems and it has been effecting my moods and my art.I need some time to calm down and think I hope you forgive me and help me give me suport to get these problems. I know people have a lot worse problems then me it's just I was and still am over welmed I hope to get over this soon. and I hope my art will get better I just need to calm down and think so wish me luck
palmtree

Return to A.N. Gallery