animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Anyone here have any cels they'd like to share?

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Anyone here have any cels they'd like to share?

Postby Trogdor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:09 pm

I do, and I'm gonna still keep on collecting as much as I can. Lets start off with this picture from top left to bottom right.

NOTE: You'll have to open the picture up in another window to get the full size

The first cel as you can see is from the infamous Nickelodeon show Doug. This is a scene from the episode where he makes a song for Patty Mayonnaise but butchers it when he starts hiccuping. This limited cel of 300 was actually hand painted by the staff and then signed by creator Jim Jenkins himself.

The second cell is from the movie Little Nemo and is of Nemo and his squirrel Icarus with the rod. This is literally a production cel, in other words, it was used in the actual movie. It came with the pencil drawing and then the hand painted cel.

The third cel is of, you guess it, the Simpsons in a Adam and Eve spoof. This is a sericel, which are cels whose characters have been transferred to the acetate by a silk-screen printing process known as serigraphy. In other words, this is NOT hand painted.

Last and never the least, my favorite, Ren & Stimpy meeting powdered toast man. Like the Doug cel, this is a limited edition of 300 (mines 33/300) and was limited to 30 artist proofs. So the scene was was transferred on to acetate by hand-inking and then each cel was hand painted. The background is just a photographic copy known as a C-print.
Last edited by Trogdor on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Trogdor

Re: Anyone here have any cels they'd like to share?

Postby Trogdor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Almost forgot this one:

This here is of Pepe Le Pew and Penelope in a Lady and the Tramp spoof titled "They eat pasta too". This is only a promocel, which is a little bigger than a card I'd say and basically its just a photo print. No drawing what so ever, but was issued to galleries by Warner Bros to promote limited edition cels.

Thats it for now. I'm currently trying to get my hands on a Garfield cel signed by Jim Davis. Then hopefully a Hey Arnold cel since I know the creator Craig Bartlett (great guy).

Then maybe when I start landing the big bucks I'll buy myself a WB and Disney production cel. Sorry, I can't half ass it with sericels and gleecels when it comes to these companies.
Trogdor

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 am

That's a nice collection Mike. I've got a couple of cels, one from a DIC cartoon from the 80s and also a very old cel with a head of the Disney character Goofy on it. I don't know where they're at, I think I have them in storage somewhere. I'm not taking care of them like you are.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Trogdor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Awesome! Which cartoon from DIC, do you remember? And Goofy? I'd say grab those suckers out of storage, you'll be surprised what these cels would be worth, especially Disney cels.

By the way, I just received my Hey Arnold cel PERSONALLY from Craig Bartlett himself while at work yesterday. He signed it and everything. Terrific guy. Definitely going down in list of contacts.
Trogdor

Postby Davelyman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:56 am

Yeah, I can't say enough good things about Craig. The first few seasons of Hey, Arnold! were made the old fashioned way- with cells and film. Craig was gracious enough to give away cells to the crew on our birthdays:
Attachments
HA-Helga.jpg
Davelyman

Postby Trogdor » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Davelyman wrote:Yeah, I can't say enough good things about Craig. The first few seasons of Hey, Arnold! were made the old fashioned way- with cells and film. Craig was gracious enough to give away cells to the crew on our birthdays:

Thats awesome! You worked on the show then? What did you do?
Trogdor

Return to A.N. Gallery