animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Work critique

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Work critique

Postby archie1st » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey guys i was wondering if you would take a couple seconds and give your thoughts and opinions on my work. Sorry i hope this is not spamming. If you have a blogspot please follow and comment or e-mail me directly. My address is on the site. I believe my web address is in my signature but if not here it is www.archie-archiedoodle.blogspot.com

I'm looking for work you see and need as much feedback as possible. Many thanks guys.
archie1st

Re: Work critique

Postby Charles » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Welcome to AN archie1st.

To start, I'd say the most immediate thing you can do as far as your work goes is to finish your drawings. They're far too faint and its hard to see the images as clearly as they should be seen.

Next, work on your basic construction. This is very important and something I stress at a fundamental level with my students, which is a significant factor in the solid improvement in their work when they train with me.

Do a Google image search of Preston Blair's "Animation" book and you'll get a good idea of what I'm referring to as far as construction for your characters goes. Do you know the internal structure of your character? That's an important part of the basic design process.

Also, once you have the design and construction worked out, practice character rotations. Get to know your character and its basic functions as if you were engineering it. Then you can better handle broad facial expressions and posing.

That's my take on it for now.

Moving the topic over to the Gallery. When you have new drawings to share feel free to post them.

Good luck with your creative efforts!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby archie1st » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Hey Charles. Many thanks for your comments. I do have access to the Preston Blair book and i'm slowly making my way through it. Would it be possible for me to e-mail you my progress from time to time for your critique. I know its asking a lot but i would greatly appreciate it. You can contact me at stephenarchie88@hotmail.com. All my work will be posted on my blog as usual. I will take everything you have said into account. Thank you very much :)
archie1st

Postby Charles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:24 am

The best way to go is to showcase your work here if you'd like a critique. Email is a major issue and it's difficult for me to stay on top of it as it is. I'm still trying to get through last week's messages, and it's Thursday. An option you might consider is taking a class through my school once we're set up to go online. We've been very effective with developing talent at about the level that you're at now.

In any case, you're welcome to post your work here on the AN Gallery and I'll be happy to comment.

Stay creatively productive, take your time and focus on each individual composition. Be thorough in your process and bring your drawings to completion. Keep this in mind and you'll see an immediate improvement in your work.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby archie1st » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:55 am

Many thanks. I will keep posting here. I update at least three times a week so whenever you have a chance that will be great. If anyone else has critique please feel free to tell me either here or e-mail me. My e-mail is on the front page of my blog.

www.archie-archiedoodle.blogspot.com
archie1st

Postby archie1st » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:08 am

I should update later tomorrow with new studies from the Preston Blair book. Stay tuned folks :)
archie1st

Postby archie1st » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Update after a long break. The retail work is gruelling place. As always guys keep me updated on what you think. CHEERS!
archie1st

Postby archie1st » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 am

Nearly at 500 views. Thanks for taking time to view my blog one and all! :)
archie1st

Postby archie1st » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Hey guys i updated some animation to my blog. Could you give me some feedback please! CHEERS

www.archie-archiedoodle.blogspot.com
archie1st

Postby Charles » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:36 pm

I like the design of the character's head. There's a couple of things to consider. First, the extreme foreshortening on the outstretched wings/arms. Is it necessary? Second, during the yawn, the chest expands but the back of the character stays in the same spot. The back would normally arc in a situation like this. If you implement more of an arc into the animation I think you'll see an improvement in the overall action.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby sorryguyz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:00 pm

this is rough, but might help.
birdforarchie.jpg
sorryguyz

Postby archie1st » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Wow thanks! Thats awesome help! Really appreciate it. Its seems so obvious now that its drawn right in front of me.
archie1st

Postby Charles » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:18 pm

I noticed a big improvement in the work you showcase on your blog, and I thank you for giving me credit for helping, but to set the record straight archie1st, it was sorryguyz that posted the above reference for you.

He's an excellent artist, a dynamic personality and a great guy as well. Not to mention a working professional. You're getting good tips from a class act in the animation biz and I see that you're putting them to use. Keep it up.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby archie1st » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Thank you very much Charles and my apologies to sorryguyz. I shall amend that straight away.
archie1st

Return to A.N. Gallery