animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Art

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Art

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 am

Been a while since I've posted here. I submitted costume designs for a few contests for a video game (DOA5U). Now trying for an ongoing (weekly?)Skullgirls contest.

Thinking of going for a movie poster theme to match w/the theme in the game. Here's a link to the products they make.

http://www.eightysixedclothing.com/skullgirls/

Weekly winner gets some income, which is nice.
Attachments
momoji.jpg
marie.jpg
jeffnevins

Re: Art

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:29 am

Here's the latest DOA5U design I entered.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
jeffnevins

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:54 am

Nice work Jeff! Good gesigns and good drawing. Thanks for posting. Always enjoy seeing your work.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:48 am

Charles wrote:Nice work Jeff! Good gesigns and good drawing. Thanks for posting. Always enjoy seeing your work.

Thank you, Charles.
Finally finished up that art for another game (hopefully) during free time for:

http://www.eightysixedclothing.com/skullgirls/

They said to have a clear BG, so I exported as a png. They'll put it on black, white, or whatever. I worked pretty close to the official art to keep them on model, but did change the poses a bit. I was going for a movie poster feel to match w/the theme of the game. Hopefully it works.
They prefer Photoshop or Illustrator, but I don't use those programs, so I hope Flash is OK.

Oh, but I figured I'd ask here if any color, composition, or anything else might be improved before submitting it. I attached a lower-quality version so it makes the 256 KB limit. Thanks!
Attachments
SG3.jpg
jeffnevins

Postby jeffnevins » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:31 am

Seems it was rejected, saying the composition is too empty & the style difference is too different between characters. I asked whether the guy wants a revision or something new created. I kind of wish they'd just be more specific & say what they want. Oh well. Thanks for reading.
jeffnevins

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Too bad Jeff. That happens all the time in this biz. You're a good artist. Stay confident and keep creating.

I've watched several documentaries this week of artists who had lots of rejection and still managed to have great success in their careers. Their secret is in not giving up and moving forward in spite of the obstacles they faced. Rejection is part of the game in this biz. Don't let it get to ya too much. Use it as motivation to do greater things.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks Charles.
Took the initiative to start two new designs, and sent them in very rough form to see if they like either concept. I think that piece could be compared to taking an animation test to get the character style down. Now hopefully something new will be finished soon.
jeffnevins

Postby jeffnevins » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:35 pm

One of the two design ideas. I'm actually thinking of just going to color since the drawing's tightened up. But maybe it can still be improved... :?:
Attachments
S.jpg
jeffnevins

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Got tired of waiting for "approval" & went to color.
Attachments
Fortune2.jpg
jeffnevins

Postby Charles » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:50 am

That's the way to go Jeff. Excellent illustration of the character. This is a departure from what I normally see of your work. Thanks for posting and keep up the great art.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks Charles!

Turns out that Leon entry above was one of the winners in the contest, so I'm getting some kind of prize. Hopefully, the costume design is used in the game (Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate).

Here's my next attempt for Skullgirls (they passed on the cat entry above).
Attachments
SGWheel3.jpg
jeffnevins

Postby jeffnevins » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Finally finished it. Work's picking up, so I'm glad it won't be an extra thing to deal with. Sent it out today, but can still make changes. Tried staying on model by closely following all the model sheets I could find. Had to lower the size/quality a bit to post it. Thanks for any comments!
Attachments
SGCast.jpg
Whew!
jeffnevins

Postby jeffnevins » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:04 pm

That last design wasn't a winner. :|
I came up with a new concept a while back & put a lot of work into it. Had two sets of revisions requested by the company guy (kind of funny since it's a weekly contest), but those really helped to improve it.

Altogether, I've been trying to win the ongoing weekly contest for a few months now. Guess the competition must be tough. I asked how many people enter each week, but they couldn't say.

It's a bit frustrating if all this latest one is passed on, but posting here and the video game Skullgirls forum (Skullheart) is at least something. I'll just do my best & hope for the best.
Attachments
JtBB3b.jpg
jeffnevins

Postby Charles » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:46 am

Jeff I remember the days when you were at my school in Burbank. That was around 2002 or 2003? I know where you were artistically back then and I've followed your art since when you'd post on the Gallery.

This is the best stuff you've ever done! Excellent work! You're a winner all the way brother! :D

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:41 am

Charles wrote:Jeff I remember the days when you were at my school in Burbank. That was around 2002 or 2003? I know where you were artistically back then and I've followed your art since when you'd post on the Gallery.

This is the best stuff you've ever done! Excellent work! You're a winner all the way brother! :D

Thanks very much Charles! Encouraging to know I've been improving. The awesome art style of the game artist (Alex Ahad) helped a lot in inspiring me. I barely know Photoshop & am bad with it, but have used Flash for eight years or so. Sounds like 86ed doesn't like Flash, but since the vector lines are converted to fills- hopefully it is fine.

Just noticed a few tangents- easily fixed in a jiffy. Take care!
jeffnevins

Return to A.N. Gallery