animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

How does one become a writer for animation

Topics related to the business of animation.

How does one become a writer for animation

Postby ryanmagnon » Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 am

Hi Guys,

My name is Ryan Magnon. I'm new to Animation Nation. I've been a student at the Animation Academy for a few months now. I've had a passion to write for animation for years. I've entered my screenplays into competitions and won awards. I'm not sure how to take the next step and get paid to write for animation or get my stories produced without shelling out all the money myself.

I guess my question is what is the most typical way one works to be become a writer at the major studios or even at minor ones. What's a good entry-level position to start in if there is any? How are writers sought out? Do they start as animators or other artists?

Ryan
ryanmagnon

Re: How does one become a writer for animation

Postby Charles » Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Ryan, check into www.Inktip.com. It's a site / community dedicated towards writers who are looking to break into entertainment.

You can also contact the Animation Guild as they have a writers contingent within the organization. I don't know how helpful they'll be but you can try.

There's also the WGA (Writers Guild of America) and you can Google "writing for animation" and a lot of references show up.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: How does one become a writer for animation

Postby mlund95 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:27 pm

I would say try to get some creative writing degree if you just want to focus on the writing of animations, or get an animation or film making degree if you want to expand your possibilities. Then I would suggest try to get involved with some smaller studios at first to get experience as these positions will be easier to get.

Best of luck!
Earn $0.03 Per View for your Animated Shorts and Films! http://www.animationcreationz.com/
mlund95

Return to The Business Forum