If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney
Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter
Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery
I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn
When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones
And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus
A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney
What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi
Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones
Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb
Topics related to the business of animation.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
The Institute for Int'l Film Financing (IIFF) continues its popular gatherings of FILMMAKERS & FINANCIERS with an exceptionally worthwhile FILM FINANCING TOWNHALL in the heart of Los Angeles. (Other upcoming meetings are listed at the bottom.)
Join us on Tuesday! For your WEB REGISTRATION DISCOUNT visit -
A remarkable program of TOP-NOTCH SPEAKERS & insightful talks is waiting for you:
1) "GETTING NEXT TO HOLLYWOOD: Finding Money Outside the Industry" -- by PAGE OSTROW, renowned producer's representative & veteran entertainment industry executive; Founder & President at global sales support, licensing & pre-sales firm Ostrow & Company; arranged financing &/or negotiated distribution for 150+ feature films & numerous documentaries; previously worked for Initial Entertainment's Graham King, distributor/producer of Oscar winners such as "The Departed" & "The Aviator"; etc.
2) "THE ART OF FINANCE: The Bank Deal" -- by RICHARD KIRATSOULIS, leading film financing expert, consultant to indie producers & advisor to several film financiers; fmr. longtime President & COO at Media 8 Entertainment, built
foreign sales outfit into top independent film company; financing credits include Golden Globe & Academy Award winner "Monster" (Charlize Theron), "The Upside of Anger" (Kevin Costner, Evan Rachel Wood) & "One Night with the King"
(John Rhys-Davies); Adjunct Professor at UCLA; etc.
3) "CLOSING THE DEAL: What's Expected of Indie Producers" -- by J. TODD HARRIS, Founder & CEO at Branded Pictures Entertainment; fmr. Managing Director at award-winning repertory company TheatreWorks; Producer of 37 feature films, including 5 Sundance, 2 Toronto & 1 Tribeca Film Festival entrants; recent productions include "Bottle Shock" (Alan Rickman, Chris Pine), "The Kids Are Alright" (Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo) & Weinstein Company's "Piranha 3D" (Richard Dreyfuss, Elisabeth Shue); etc.
4) "WHAT EVERY PRODUCER SHOULD KNOW: An Independent Financing Breakdown" -- by ELSA RAMO, seasoned entertainment attorney focusing on independent film; representing such notable clients as Judy Cairo ("Crazy Heart"), Jamie Patricof ("Blue Valentine") & Anne Clements ("Quincenera", "Pedro"); recent production legal credits include "The Fields", "Little Birds", "Slightly Single in LA", "William Vincent", "Least Among You" & "Abandoned"; 2010 recipient of prestigious award from CA Lawyers for the Arts; etc.
5) "VISUAL EFFECTS: Budget Realities for Producers & Investors" -- by SUSAN ZWERMAN, very successful visual-effects & animation producer, who worked on over 50 major films, 100 TV commercials & 30 theatrical plays; Grammy
Award-winning producer of Weird Al Yankovic music video "I'm Fat"; VFX credits include "Alien: Resurrection," "The Guardian," "Broken Arrow," "Around the World in 80 Days," "The One," "Men of Honor," "Fat Albert" & "Tall Tale"; received DGA Honor Plaque for Extraordinary Service; etc.
6) "STRUCTURING THE EQUITY INVESTMENT: Avoiding Common Pitfalls & Obstacles" -- by TOM ARA, entertainment-industry lawyer with prestigious firm Manatt, Phelps & Phillips; clients include movie studios, TV networks, production companies, financiers, web & mobile content producers/distributors & entertainment-related tech companies; provides film finance counsel for independent producers; recent
projects include "Dancing with the Stars," "Princess Kaiulani," "Alien Raiders," "Otis" & "Teenage Paparazzo"; etc.
7) "CHANGING MARKETS & OUTLOOKS: What's Happening Out There" -- by CAROLE DEAN, creator of Roy W. Dean Film & Writing Grants, totaling $2M to date; President & CEO at From the Heart Productions, nonprofit dedicated to funding films; Producer of 100+ TV shows & Exec. Producer of "Women Behind the Camera," "BAM 6.6," "American Chain Gang" & "Step Away From the Stone"; authored popular book "The Art of Film Funding: Alternative Financing Concepts"; acts as fiscal sponsor to indie producers nationwide; etc.
The event coordinates are:
IIFF/LA Film Financing Townhall
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
7:00pm - 10:00pm
5660 Venice Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90019
Very limited space. Buy LOW-COST TICKETS online at -
We would be delighted to WELCOME YOU among us on the 28th. Please bring your partners & associates!
See you there,
Your Friends at IIFF
P.S: Events are also coming up in Vancouver http://iiff.info/ZYSYJ , Seattle http://iiff.info/XTNXR , NYC http://iiff.info/NUPYZ , Kansas City
http://iiff.info/ECHAT & San Fran http://iiff.info/QESBJ .
P.P.S.: Actor SEAN ASTIN & others pitched at last month's FilmAngels INVESTOR MEETINGS http://filmangels.info in Silicon Valley & Manhattan. Hand a one-pager of your latest venture to an IIFF staffer on 9/28!
1 post • Page 1 of 1