animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Student freelance project - Character Design - paying

Topics related to the business of animation.

Student freelance project - Character Design - paying

Postby Charles » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm posting this as a professional courtesy. If you're interested negotiate a deal that is in your best interests...

Cartoon Graphic Artist needed!

Do you know how frustrating it is to have all these great ideas roaming around in your head but you have no idea how to put them on paper! Well, I would like to see my ideas on paper!

I am looking for a student sketch artist who would be willing to draw up (10) two-dimensional (2D) cartoon stills. NOTE: Only (1-2) stills will be submitted at a time until completion.

All cartoons include either traditional Middle Eastern or miscellaneous content such as, clothing, people, sky, planets, bus, roaches, musical instruments, TV’s, etc. I am hoping to find someone who is detail oriented because some of the descriptions require a keen eye to detail. This might be better suited to an animation arts student and/or anyone who has a critical eye. Hey, the goal is for you to strengthen your technique and to build your portfolio with ideas other than your own but for me to finally see my ideas materialized on the printed page! Hey, you think you can handle it?!

I am hoping whatever software you use, including Photoshop, you would be willing to create a JPEG big enough for me to print off a (8-1/2 x 11) cartoon(s) still in order to mount and laminate at a later time. Additionally, you're at liberty to use the copyrighted material as part of your art school portfolio but regretfully, the material cannot be sold.

At this time I am an unemployed. You should know that I am ONLY able to afford $40.00 per drawing/still which would require a contract agreement. The contract is basic in its agreement and asks that you only confirm that once you’ve started the project, you’ll complete it within the time frame specified, as an example. Understandably, if your coursework prevents a full commitment or if the pay is not to your liking, then I would rather you not respond to this post, respectfully.

All payments will be issued via certified mail and/or Paypal if you prefer. Certified mail cannot be received at a PO Box address as confirmation of receipt – so a home or business address is encouraged.

Please reply to the email address herein (luzrishi@yahoo.com) and leave your E-MAIL and PHONE NUMBER and the best time to call you. Please do attach a small sample of one of your cartoon sketches to provide me an idea of your work; and, once I have reviewed your sketch, all content(s) will be deleted. I will only call you/contact you if I see that your work is in harmony with what I am looking for. Additionally, if I feel your portfolio work has potential I will submit one (1) non-paid cartoon text illustration for you to complete simply to determine your ability to authentically relate my Middle Eastern/Arabic ideas in Photoshop. Once I’ve seen and agreed to your drawing ability to illustrate Arab stories I’ll submit a contract to you at that time to draw up 10 cartoon stills at $40.00 per still [$400.00 total].

Attached are two (2) JPG examples to give you some idea of what I am looking for.

Arabic Sketch #1 is a 2D sketch
Arabic Skethc #2 is a 3D sketch: Please note I am NOT looking for 3D work as this requires far more time. I only attached the 3D example to show you the Middle Eastern style I am looking for.

ArabicSketchExample1.jpg

ArabicSketchExample2.jpg

And lastly, if things go well and we have a good rapport, there may be more work available down the line!

Thank you for your interest,
Andre Rishi
luzrishi@yahoo.com

"When the power of Love overcomes the love of Power, the world will know PEACE...."

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Student freelance project - Character Design - paying

Postby Charles » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Students, it's a good idea to have samples of your work online. That way instead of sending files as requested above you can easily direct a potential client to your portfolio via the Internet.

Also, if a client is asking for you do create character designs as a test, this is something that should be compensated. Free tests are not professionally appropriate. They are tolerated in the animation industry only because artists have allowed themselves to be conditioned for it but that does not mean it is a professional standard.

Would an accountant do your tax returns for free to prove that they can do a tax return? Of course not!

If the potential client asks for a character design for free as a condition of going forward with the project then be sure you do not relinquish a high resolution file and courteously explain to the client that you retain all rights to the image. If the deal moves forward then it should include financial compensation for the test. If it doesn't than at least you have additional artwork for your portfolio.

When you enter into a professional situation make sure that a deal memo is signed first before any more work is done. It should include all the terms of the project including rights to the images, fees, method and frequency of payment, and also a clause that allows you to use the images in relation to self promotion, education and an anthology of your work.

AND DON'T FORGET YOUR CREDITS !

This project is below industry standards in terms of compensation. The client needs you so negotiate a deal that is in your best interests and don't automatically sign off on what they may be offering.

Be smart in terms of protecting yourself and also in terms of developing a mutually professional relationship.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Student freelance project - Character Design - paying

Postby Charles » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Be aware also that as Character Designers you're developing intellectual property. This isn't the same as painting a portrait or a landscape. It's a completely different dynamic.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to The Business Forum