animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Rich Dad, Poor Dad. The true problem?

Topics related to the business of animation.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad. The true problem?

Postby LuisE » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:20 pm

I just finished listening to this while I worked. It kinda blew my mind.

If what is said in this book is true, then any kind of injustice in our industry pales compared the issues we really should be focusing on.

Thoughts?

Shouldn't the idea that artists should "just have a job" not be an option?
LuisE

Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad. The true problem?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Well, if everyone was a pioneer and did it themselves who would they hire to do the work needed?

;)

seriously. Everyone plays a roll. Not everyone is a leader. Nor wants to be.

But with that said, I would say for me I am not an employee or someone looking for a job so all this is awesome!! I mean, a lot of this applies to people who just want jobs too. the way we look at money etc. But for me its not an option. Hasn't been for a long time..

But going back to the larger problems. There is a mentality that we could all get over. It goes deep though. In my opinion. SOcial paradigms in general are the problem. Not to sound esoteric or f*** the system...although there is that part of me too ;)...but wealth and success and the ideas around those need to evolve.

All I need is to sustain. My wealth comes from other outlets and satisfactions outside of money...although, in this life, I'll take money too! HA!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks for posting the Robert Kirosaki videos Luis. I'm familiar with his books and his outlook on money and finance. This was a good review. Everyone should take the time to listen to this and take in his wisdom and advice. Very helpful.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby LuisE » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:25 pm

I honestly think what Kirosaki is talking about here, is the "real" solution.

SNAKEBITE, I don't think what he's talking about is about becoming a leader so much as he's trying to get people to start realizing they should stop working for money and start having money work for them.

We artists REALLY need to hear this. We can "draw assets." The way the Beatles used to talk about, "writing up a swimming pool."

I just heard a guy giving a lecture to entrepreneurs, tell his audience, to NOT listen to any suggestions from the Graphic Designers they employ. His reasoning? "Because they're all poor."

It's an idiotic thing to say for tons of reasons, but the implication in clear.

The Graphic Designers might be able to make the thing look better but if any of their ideas and skills where truly valuable to the market place, they'd be rich.

This isn't true, but it's difficult to disagree when the designer manages his money poorly. It reflects badly on the whole art community.

The financially independent artists are the exceptions, not the rule.

We need to stop thinking about money not being important. THAT'S where we are failing.

Money IS VERY important. It's very important for everything that money is important for. Which is A LOT of stuff.

Is it THE most important thing in the world? No. But it's up there.

I saw an ad last week that read:

"The best things in life are free, but the second best things are really expensive."

I want to have the freedom to create what I want without worrying how I can feed my kids. I like the idea of not dealing with bad producers to be able to pay my expenses.

The only way to get that sort of freedom is to know what the wealthy know about being wealthy and emulate the good bit, while throwing out the bad bits.

I'd like to be paid for my value not my time, and I'd like to have my money do all the work so I can concentrate on the REAL things that are important.

But to do that, I can't down play the importance of money.

...(sigh)...I don't know if I'm rambling here or if I'm getting my point across.

All I know is, that after listening to Kirosaki, I got so annoyed that I didn't know this stuff sooner.
But at least, now I know. I kinda want everyone else to.

And this is just the beginning. There's SO much more to know!
LuisE

Return to The Business Forum