If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney
Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter
Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery
I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn
When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones
And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus
A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney
What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi
Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones
Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb
Topics related to the business of animation.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Crowdfunding & the Future of Film Finance
Pocket Guide to Distribution
Online Markets For Movies & more...
This month, we have a REAL TREAT for you! For one thing, you can get supremely affordable tickets to our FILM FINANCE GATHERING at -
For another, the 7 HAND-PICKED PRESENTERS include only the freshest & most interesting players in independent film finance. Here is a sample of what awaits you on AUGUST 21 2012 in Hollywood:
1) "CROWDFUNDING & the Future of Film Financing" -- by ROBERT TERCEK, one of world's most prolific creators of interactive content for many platforms; co-founded 5 digital media startups incl. 7th Level (IPO in 1993); Chairman at Creative Visions Foundation; Founder & President at General Creativity; Adj. Professor at USC School of Cinema-TV; Fellow at Royal Society of Arts; fmr. President of Digital Media at OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network; fmr. Founding Chairman of Mobile Symposium at Game Developer Conference; fmr. Founder & President at PeopleJam; fmr. Co-Founder & Advisor at Comedy.com; fmr. Chief Marketing Officer at Mforma (now Hands-On Mobile); fmr. President of Applications & Services at PacketVideo; Sr. VP of Digital Media at Sony Pictures; fmr. Co-Founder & Creative Director at 7th Level; fmr. Creative Director at MTV; named among most influential players in new media by Variety & dubbed "TV Anarchist" by Industry Standard; etc.
2) "IT TAKES A CROWD: Lessons From the Funding & Making of FAME HIGH" -- by SCOTT HAMILTON KENNEDY, Academy Award-nominated Producer & Director at Black Valley Films; recently completed "Fame High," named Best of Fest at Silverdocs & nominated for Best Doc Feature at Tribeca; "Fame High" chronicles school year at LA County High School for the Arts (LACHSA), among country's most respected & competitive public arts high schools; 2008 Oscar nominee for "The Garden" (Darryl Hannah, Danny Glover), which premiered & won at Silverdocs; garnered top film fest awards for debut doc "OT: Our Town," shortlisted for Oscar, nominated for Independent Spirit Award & received NEA Human & Civil Rights Award; credits also include 2011 doc "Grace & Mercy," 2008 doc "The Windmill Movie" (Wallace Shawn) & 2003 TV series "Faking It"; currently develops narrative projects incl. action adventure "Up River," which went through FIND Directors Lab & was featured on Black List; taught master classes in film at Carnegie Mellon, USC, Claremont Colleges; etc.
3) "ONLINE MARKETS FOR MOVIES: Film Finance, Promotion & Distribution in the Digital Age" -- by DARREN MARBLE, Co-Founder & CEO at new online marketplace FilmBreak, connects filmmakers w/ global network of investors, distributors & film-loving consumers; 10+ years as sales exec, sold $30M+ in software & services to clients incl. Live Nation, Screen Actors Guild, Demand Media & Kelley Blue Book; Director of Business Development at IT consulting firm Solution Beacon; Exec. Director at nonprofit LDNetwork, helps learning disabled people realize full potential; fmr. Social Media Consultant at breast-cancer charity Susan G. Komen for the Cure, responsible for highly successful "Viral Day" campaign, secured celeb endorsers incl. Kim Kardashian; fmr. Director of Business Development at Innowave Technology; fmr. Account Manager at RCM Technologies (NASDAQ: RCMT); fmr. Business Development Associate at SOA Software; fmr. Sr. Analyst at Greystone Financial; etc.
Skip to http://gla.filmfinancing.org/082112r or read on:
4) "FESTIVALS, ACQUISITIONS & BEYOND: The Filmmaker's Pocket Guide to Distribution" -- by CRYSTAL CALLAHAN, known as acquisitions maven, acquired 60 features in 2011 alone & closed negotiations on films of all genres in US, Canada, UK, Australia, Germany & Africa; National Director at Film Festival Flix; recently inked deals w/ Bill Immerman ("Ray"), Universal ("Contraband," "Safe House") & mobile app sponsors of SXSW & National Film Festival for Talented Youth; fmr. Head of Distribution at film finance & production company Instinctive Film (via distribution arm Interactor Media); fmr. Business Development Manager at FilmFunds.com; fmr. VP of Acquisitions at Celebrity Home Entertainment; launched 2 LA film fests as Managing Director; got start in film as Exec. Producer; holds BA in Political Science from University of Virginia; etc.
5) "DOS & DON'TS OF CROWDFUNDING: Now That It Is Law, How Can You Benefit?" -- by ROGER ROYSE, ESQ., Founder & Attorney at Royse Law Firm w/ offices in Silicon Valley, San Francisco & LA; practices in corporate & securities law, domestic & international tax, M&A & angel/venture fund formation; wrote book "Dead on Arrival: How to Avoid the Legal Mistakes That Can Kill Your Start-Up"; fmr. Adj. Professor of Taxation at Golden Gate University; fmr. Partner at Montgomery & Hansen; fmr. Partner at GCA Law Partners; fmr. Attorney at Berliner Cohen; fmr. Associate at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy; fmr. Attorney at Nilles, Hansen & Davies; named 2012 Man of the Year by Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (Bay Area chapter) for winning 10-week fundraising challenge; served as Treasurer at Palo Alto Area Bar Association; holds JD & BS in Accounting from University of North Dakota & LLM in Taxation from NYU; etc.
Stay tuned for 2 MORE TIMELY PRESENTERS. It would be wonderful if you joined us on 8/21! To maximize the NETWORKING OPPORTUNITY, we are determined to fill our theater with all the right professionals.
Thanks for your interest,
Your Friends at IIFF Los Angeles
Institute for International Film Financing
P.S.: We <3 CROWDFUNDING! IIFF supports fundraising campaigns for indies such as FAME HIGH. Please back them at http://kck.st/N2TfJR & be part of a great documentary by an Oscar nominated filmmaker. Want help with YOUR OWN CAMPAIGN? Bring a project summary on the 21st.
1 post • Page 1 of 1