animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Aligning Frames

Learn about animation from the pros

Aligning Frames

Postby Bloodwind » Fri May 04, 2012 10:56 am

I am having trouble trying to align frames properly. I use both paper and digital media. I wanted to know if there is anyone who can provide help or offer some sort of link that can help me further my personal technique.

Thank you in advance!
Video games, illustration and Animation is my life. I can't see myself with out them.

My Tumblr:
http://hardheadedmind.tumblr.com/
My Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/alston2reel
My Twitter:
twitter.com/Ari_BloodwindSt

Take Care
-Ari
Bloodwind

Re: Aligning Frames

Postby Charles » Mon May 07, 2012 10:17 am

Not sure exactly what you need for your process, but if you're using traditional animation software there's probably some aspect of it that will automatically allow you to register your frames.

The best way to register your drawings is of course the use of punched paper and a peg bar. Maybe this video will help in some way.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Bloodwind » Mon May 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Charles wrote:Not sure exactly what you need for your process, but if you're using traditional animation software there's probably some aspect of it that will automatically allow you to register your frames.

The best way to register your drawings is of course the use of punched paper and a peg bar. Maybe this video will help in some way.

This is very helpful.; but, partly what I am looking for. I want to draw my frames out traditionally. Then, Scan them onto my computer, and then align them using an animation program(i.e. flash)... wait maybe this video will be of assistance.

What I am really trying to say is, how can I clean my drawings so that they retain the same proportions within the animation so that it doesn't appear "jumpy".
Video games, illustration and Animation is my life. I can't see myself with out them.

My Tumblr:
http://hardheadedmind.tumblr.com/
My Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/alston2reel
My Twitter:
twitter.com/Ari_BloodwindSt

Take Care
-Ari
Bloodwind

Postby Charles » Mon May 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Well, to do that, ya gotta practice. There's no other way around it, plus getting that info across through the written word is not the most efficient way of communicating what to look for.

Flip your drawings back and forth while animating to see how your volumes and shapes are holding up. Shoot pencil tests and study them frame by frame to catch flaws and improve your work. Search for topics along these lines on YouTube. There's plenty of video tutorials available on how to properly animate and the fundamental principles you should be aware of and applying. Go this route and see what you can find, as well as practicing.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to Education