AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » The Contest Forum   » Contest #9: Grunthos: Man of valor and impeccable fashion sense!

Author Topic: Contest #9: Grunthos: Man of valor and impeccable fashion sense!
the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks, it's time again to go over the entries and see what everyone has to show!

The theme this time around was "Grunthos: Man of valor and impeccable fashion sense!"; and submissions were open from Monday, November 29th through Sunday, December 12th.

Here are the entries!

Offbeat
 -

Hoo-ha! Maybe I need a breathmint or something 'cause I must be scaring people away.

Sooooo... well, we've had to talk about what to do now as this is something that we hadn't planned on, but now we do.

Obviously it goes without saying that Offbeat is the winner by default, so CONGRATULATIONS! This marks another first for AnimationNation.com as Offbeat is also the first person to have won two contests now so big round of applause!

Since it became apparent that there were going to be no other entries for the contest we've talked things up with Offbeat and Charles and I also discussed how the contests are going and we'll share what's up.

For starters, Offbeat's been a terrific sport about this and has offered to give the $100 prize money over to the winner of the next contest thus making the prizemoney even greater a reward and hopefully a good catalyst for getting some stronger participation going on next time. THANK YOU!

An important reality of the situation though is that these contests aren't free. The prize money that we're offering (and to a lesser extent the other bonus items) is paid for directly by the subscription fees that we receive from the Independant Economy. On the surface this subscription fee allows people to add some visual pizazz to their messageboard postings as well as the privledge of advertising their website, but a big plus is that for $15 you also get an entire year's worth of opportunity to participate in the contests that AN offers. A problem that we're seeing however is the connection between the subscriptions and contest entries isn't being recognized strongly enough and the fact is that without a somewhat steady flow of subscriptions and renewals we're going to see the end of the available money to run contests like these.

Right now we're faced with the question of what we need to do to maintain the subscription money with participation in the contests declining. I for one would love to hear some commentary about this as I feel that the contest forum has been the single greatest addition to AnimatioNation.com in a long time. It's a real community showcase and one of the things that I genuinely look forward to on this website. I've pondered a couple times even whether you guys would be willing to let me participate in some of these contests despite the fact that I effectively run them. Heck, I'm "between jobs" right now and $100 would be a nice extra to put towards my bills. Still though, shout out your thoughts and feelings about this because ya'll are smart folks and if these contests get you as excited as I am then we can keep them going as long as you want.

For the time being at least what we're going to do is continue the contests but at a rate that corresponds with the level of subscriptions and renewals that we receive. The next contest we hold will officially commence after we recieve another ten payments, all of which will be directly applied to the prize money and then Offbeat's gift of $100 will be thrown on top to make the total cash prize come to $250 (and of course we'll also throw in the t-shirt, pencils, and Animation Magazine subscription).

Since the commencement of the next contest is indeterminate given these conditions and the prize money will be more than doubled I think it would be a good idea to give out the theme in advance of the official start date so that people can have more time to work on it. Again your comments are welcome.

And that about wraps it up. My thanks again for everybody who has made these contests as enjoyable as they have been.

[cheers]

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

IP: Logged
Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy Vey. Such a T-Shirt that would make.

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

Russian Judge
IE # 174
Member # 3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russian Judge   Author's Homepage   Email Russian Judge         Edit/Delete Post 
Might I suggest that the contests be better publicized? Like, for instance, posting a banner ad that would appear next to the AN logo announcing the contest? (I say "banner ad," but only you guys who program this knows how to do it with your system.) I'd suggest something not in the green/brown/yellow colors of the page, so it would stand out.

And obviously, change the banner ad for each contest.

Final suggestion, from someone who can't draw; since animation is composed of both pictures AND words, how about a contest for those of us who write? (At the worst, someone would have the satisfaction of beating the stuffing out of me.)

--------------------
See the new, updated TOON Magazine Online
at http://www.toonmag.com

BobW
IE # 197
Member # 1902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobW   Author's Homepage   Email BobW         Edit/Delete Post 
Althought it's a little bit sad that only one entry came in I think it's still a great one. Very well executed disgustingly looking grunthos dude!! Congratulations Offbeat and you're indeed a good sport to give back your prize money.

As for making the contest more popular perhaps a banner or some more obvious way of advertizing the event might help.

Trondheimfan
IE # 169
Member # 2282

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trondheimfan   Email Trondheimfan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to participate anytime, except time is something I really lack right now.(Internship, in another city, thus having to travel for almost four hours total every day.)

The reason I didn't scribble something real quickly for the last two contests is that I feel the themes are heading in a weird direction. I loved the open ended themes like "They save the world", or "Wish you were here", or "Let's boogie!". Themes that can be interpreted in many different ways, you know.

Oh, and OFFBEAT, nice entry. Since you're giving money away anyway, in the spirit of Christmas, I assume, how's about helping a guy out here? Baby needs a new computer!

--------------------
Tekenen is schrijven en spreken tegelijk.

B Moore
IE # 21
Member # 855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Moore   Author's Homepage   Email B Moore         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that I found this contest's theme to be a bit tough to visualize. I think Offbeat's version is pretty definitive, though (the blinking fig leaf is a nice touch.) The more general themes offer a little more leeway. I'm always surprised to see the varying interpretations.

I agree with Russian Judge about the banner ad idea - something that is super visible on the front page of AN. It could just say something like "JANUARY 2005 ART CONTEST / Entry deadline 12/31/04 / Click for details", with the theme etc. on the contest page.

--------------------
Brian
Teddy & Anna: An Animated Web Serial
 -

hett15
IEcm
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hett15   Email hett15         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap I thought the deadline was the 19th! I had some rough sketches ready to go and everything. I was going to submit it this weekend. Can I still submit it even though the contest is over, just so that Offbeat can beat someone at least? Oh and Congrats to OffBeat who is truly a winner.
Trondheimfan
IE # 169
Member # 2282

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trondheimfan   Email Trondheimfan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh and Congrats to OffBeat who is truly a winner.
"Weirdo" might be a more appropriate word to describe someone who actually takes the time to sit down and draw something like that, hett15. [funny]

Just messin' with ya OFFBEAT. [Wink]

--------------------

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
WOO HOOO!! I'M NUMBER 1!!!!!!!!!!
It sucks that noone else entered.. steals the thunder out of the win. No bragging rights. ah well.
I last minuted that piece.. I started at 7:30pm ... spent an hour looking for my wacom tablet pen(which I lost) then remembered stepping into Charles's Gouache lecture from the previous week, and decided to give that a try.. so It's my first gouche painting. I scanned that and the background texture, in and did the lightning, and body hair with a mouse.

I thought the money was going to Brian to help maintain the board. I didn't know it was going back into the pot! D'oh!! Ah well. Generosity and kindness kicks me in the balls once again. lol
Ah well.. it's close to Kwanzaa.. And It's about giving, right?
Does the next winner get 2 subscriptions to Animation Magazine and 4 boxes of pencils too?
Whoever wins my winnings next time, name their next bowell movement after me.

Thanks for the compliments!

Tron.. I was just about to take your computer to the post office and send it out to you.. then I saw the 'weirdo' comment.. so no computer for you!!!

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny story about the piece... As I finished, my wife came in, saw it on the monitor.. shot gatorade out her nose and said "That looks just like you!"
"...Hello? Abused husband's shelter? Get my room ready."

LoL. So, now you all know what I look like wearing a christmas leaf, spear and magic mullet with dinosaur head in hand.

Taking you to scary visual place!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

droosan
IE # 4
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droosan           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, only one entry! I guess it was bound to happen, someday .. and congrats to OFFBEAT for such an 'offbeat' entry! [biggrin]

Funny thing, my winning entry from contest #6 was also a 'last-minute' job; I'd started it around noon, and e-mailed it at 11:58 PM (just 2 minutes shy of the deadline) ..

Thanks to the win, though, I was excluded from this particular contest; I can't enter another one 'til February. Kind of a bummer, 'cause I enjoy creating the entries, and seeing what others came up with, much moreso than winning .. I'd almost rather come in 2nd-or-lower each time, so that I could keep participating .. [Big Grin]

-------------------

Some thoughts:

Like Trondheimfan, I too feel that the last two contests have had somewhat 'constricting' themes, at least when compared to those of the previous contests.

And, as Russian Judge suggests, it might be a fun idea to have a contest 'format' (even if only a 'suggested' one) in addition to a theme .. such as a 'storyboard' contest .. or a 'character design' contest .. or a 'layout' contest .. etc; it seems most of the previous contests have resulted in panel-gag cartoons (though we have had a few animated entries).

I do like the idea of having the contests spaced a little further apart (maybe bi-monthly, so there'd be six per year?); it would give entrants a bit more time to put together an entry .. and, if the contest is more heavily-promoted (as with the 'banner' idea), more time for other members to find out about, and enter, the contest.

One other suggestion, in relation to "The Winners Circle" thread: might it be a good idea to post an image of the winning entry for each contest ..? Might prove inspiring to potential entrants, or at least give them a 'feel' for what the previous contests have been like ..

marmax
IE # 270
Member # 1505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marmax   Email marmax         Edit/Delete Post 
I did sketches but didn't have enough time to do anything with them. Even if I did have time, I would've lost to Offbeat anyway. [thumbsup]

Money is nice but I'd rather get a piece of original art. Maybe animation artists can contribute artwork/sketches to win. It doesn't have to be elaborate either. Then the money can go to other areas of the IE too.

I agree with the comments about making the themes more open to interpretation too. But the time factor is the biggest problem.

the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for your comments guys! I'm on the verge of leaving town for the holidays and may not get the opportunity to respond until I get back but your feedback is both very helpful and appreciated. The thoughts on the theming has been very interesting to read, thank you. You guys are great!

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

Trondheimfan
IE # 169
Member # 2282

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Trondheimfan   Email Trondheimfan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tron.. I was just about to take your computer to the post office and send it out to you.. then I saw the 'weirdo' comment.. so no computer for you!!!

D'OH! Me and my big mouth... [bawling]

--------------------

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

I think it needs to be added to the rules that if only one person enters the contest that he gets nothing before they work on an entry.

But with that as a rule, you might diswade people from entering or putting any effort into an entry for fears of that happening to them.

I think it's more of incentive to enter when others see that only one person entered the last contest.

...But that could just be logic from where I come from.

--------------------

hamsterbite
IE # 3
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hamsterbite   Email hamsterbite         Edit/Delete Post 
A really good entry as usual, Offbeat, and of course incredibly disgusting. But then that light-up figleaf, now that is one classy set of duds! Great interpretation of the theme. By the way, you said you did the body hair with a MOUSE? That's pretty amazing!

About the topics, I guess it depends on what you want these contests to be. At first, I was just a little confused by the topics... but intrigued as well. They were fun. Then after the "World You'll Only Imagine" one, I thought, "Oh, they've been meaning to leave this more open-ended the whole time" because Charles actually said that their idea on that one was to maybe attract entries from background artists. I figured the "I Love the Way You Dress" topic, in retrospect, must've been for something like exploring different approaches to character design, like the portfolio of Charles' development art that was posted (in a different forum, of course) a while back. And "Think of the Children"... of course, they meant that to be open to all children's illustration. How could I have not seen it? I began taking a much more general approach to my entries, choosing existing pieces from my portfolio sometimes. I asked if the moderators minded this approach and got no answer, so I assumed they didn't. I would actually enjoy seeing lots of people enter work from their "archives". But with "I've Got a Balloon" and this latest topic, I thought, "Okay, message received. They obviously want art that's custom-made for these contests." But the combination of a heavy work schedule and a highly-specific topic kept me from dashing off even a rough sketch this time.

So basically, I think these last two topics were a bit constricting, especially Grunthos. Personally, I'd enjoy it if the contests were designed to be portfolio showcases; I think there'd be a lot more entries that way, too. And we'd see some more time-intensive art, too, since not every artist can spend a lot of hours away from paying work in a two week period. But if that's not what the moderators want, believe me, I'm still enjoying the type of topics we've had, as long as they don't get as narrow as the last two.

Whew.

nettajean
IE # 98
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nettajean   Email nettajean         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be possible to send out an email? I don't know if you have the ability to do so...but I'm thinking kinda like 3Dluvr.com does for their contests. I don't often get to come to the board here due to time and an email reminder would be awesome. I keep missing the contest deadlines. Just a suggestion. [guitar]

--------------------
Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed
--Mel Brooks

roger
IE # 141
Member # 2352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger   Author's Homepage   Email roger         Edit/Delete Post 
Offbeat that is a great entry and i would have voted for it any way. That leaf is sheer genius!

As for entering the contest... time is my only problem (I have "luckily" too much work on) so the cash upgrade might work for some but for me it does not matter. It looks like real fun but i just dont get the time and i don't want to enter a bad or simple thing (as these top gun's enter great stuff time after time) and i can promise you now already that i would enter and win... i would donate the money to a good and just cause... this very good forum so the good people who run it can keep running it.
And I really like seeing what the members enter... its great fun!

--------------------
http://www.canvas.nl

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012