AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » A new standard for swiping comic artwork

Author Topic: A new standard for swiping comic artwork
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother alerted me to this today.
It's worth sharing:
http://www.centrepompidou.fr/livres/201003-erro/

Erro is a gallery artist who traces Brian Bolland and Dick Giordano and people like that without attribution, and gets French gallery exhibits and big bucks. It's even more irritating than the work of Lichtenstein.

Bolland called him on it:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/20/brian-bolland-takes-on-erro-and-wins/

I'd love to hear what people think of this. It's gotten relatively little notice, and it's a giant, scandalous smack in the face.

IP: Logged
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
....the people who buy these overpriced works would not buy anything from the people these dudes are ripping off. So it's questionable of course, but is it a conflict in the market?

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Snakebite. You know why this stuff sells when the originals don't... to make literally anything HIGH ART and make a bold, innovative statement of pure genius, you just gotta make it BIGGER.

The statement and the impact are absolutely unavoidable when its at least 6 feet tall, hanging above the designer leather sofa in your tiny Manhattan loft. (Sorry, bro, a framed 8 by 11 comic book page just isn't gonna work).

Yet another example of the free-fall of complete cultural unimportance that "Gallery Land" is unfortunately going thru right now (touched on by Bolland in his letter)...... most people in modern society just don't give a damn what's going on at any random gallery right now. They just don't care. Sorry.

When a gallery speaks of someone's "importance", I just gotta roll my eyes...... I guess it is the ultimate compliment to a gallery artist.. you have been deemed "important".

Erro (a single name helps you build an iconic reputation in the contemporary art world, by the way- like a brand name) should be allowed to do whatever he wants. But he needs to pay the artists from whom he is taking for work that is not in the public domain. And the curator at the Pompidou should have never displayed these works without some research and a few tough questions.

Bolland wrote a brilliant letter, by the way. Well said.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I silly?

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
....cause you're calling these pieces "overpriced".

[Big Grin]

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

lol, hehehehe, well, for me they are. But you're right some people will buy them. Chances are NOT tank girl fans. Thats why I said although the methods are questionable I wonder if there is any real damage to the original artists. These guys aren't taking his business and the fine art world is infamous for ripping off people...in many ways.

I'm all for supporting people fighting against fraud, but the foundation of profit seems to be fraud. thats why money is outdated.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

I feel terrible for the way it must have made Bolland feel the moment he walked in that gallery.. and it hit him right on the nose. But the best thing is, he went home and did something smart about it to defend his work and his legacy- thats why it was such a great letter. Bold and honest, but with a couple smart jabs here and there..... yet still very smooth and literate. Obviously he thought a great deal about that letter before completing it. We as artists can all learn from the way he conducted himself and defended his work. Well played.

But boy, I'd sure love to see what his FIRST DRAFT of that letter looked like..........!

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

lol, no doubt. We have to always fight for what we believe is right.

I know one thing I can learn from this...proof read your letters after taking a long walk.lol but then again, I like some of my flame thrower letters, they are very creative.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Richard
Member # 247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard   Email Richard         Edit/Delete Post 
"Erro errs!" What a catchy headline!

--------------------
www.richardjgaines.blogspot.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012