AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » New clashes in Greece

Author Topic: New clashes in Greece
Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's old news but it looks like it's finally starting to hit the fan over there.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iXUJvBknZVGqsBenIusBgBvWj5WQD9FHJ5801

--------------------
skynet[at]animationnation.com
http://www.alivenotdead.com/slipperysky
http://www.slipperysky.com

IP: Logged
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
It's going to happen here. I really hope those in charge can somehow keep kicking the can down the road long enough so I don't have to experience it.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/it-is-now-mathematically-impossible-to-pay-off -the-u-s-national-debt

It Is Now Mathematically Impossible To Pay Off The U.S. National Debt

You see, the truth is that the U.S. government now owes more dollars than actually exist. If the U.S. government went out today and took every single penny from every single American bank, business and taxpayer, they still would not be able to pay off the national debt. And if they did that, obviously American society would stop functioning because nobody would have any money to buy or sell anything.

And the U.S. government would still be massively in debt.

So the bottom line is this....

#1) If all money owned by all American banks, businesses and individuals was gathered up today and sent to the U.S. government, there would not be enough to pay off the U.S. national debt.

#2) The only way to create more money is to go into even more debt which makes the problem even worse.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to general strikes, nobody has it down or does it better than the Greeks. When they go on strike, the banks close down, the schools, public transportation, the postal service, everything. The entire country comes to a grinding halt.

I was there one year when they did this. It was when the president of Greece and his staff and many of the government officials were in Tokyo for the vote as to which city would be hosting the 1996 Summer Olypmics. The Greeks were lobbying hard cuz they wanted Athens to be the site for the 100th anniversary of the modern games, but Altanta got the nod. And while the vote was going on, that's when the Greeks decided to go on strike.

The people were very upset, disappointed and angry that Athens wasn't chosen. The Greek press corp was particularly unnerved and when the TV stations came on for a few hours in the evening to broadcast the vote, they aired the press conference.

When they grilled the president as to how they could allow this calamity to happen, the president got fed up and spoke very frankly to the reporters. I'll never forget it. He said...

"Listen to me for just one minute. Here we are, the government of Greece, the president of Greece, in Japan among the smartest people in the world, and I can't get a phone call through to my office in Athens."

I had a good laugh, it was one of the most genuine moments I've ever witnessed coming from a politician. I endeavored to explain to my friends that in America, when we have setbacks, we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and try again and Greece will do the same thing and they did and they got the Olypmics for 2004.

Ironically, I think it's the Olympics that put them into this mess as the country went way into debt to cover the expense.

But they're an ancient nation and a strong people with a cultural heritage that gave birth to western civilization. The Greeks have faced many great and daunting challenges in their history. This too shall pass and they shall endure.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012