my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Celebrating Easter 2009

Author Topic: Celebrating Easter 2009
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great holiday. The greatest of them all in my opinion, as it is an affirmation of everything that life is about... and that is Life!

Life triumphs over death! We see it in nature and it is at the core of human spiritual thought.

Here's a YouTube video of a classic celebration of Easter, 'Easter Parade' with Fred Astair and Judy Garland from 1948.

The song is 'Easter Parade' and it was the highlight of the movie. Written by Irving Berlin, who was Jewish by the way, and the author of 'White Christmas'.

The subtitles are in French for our continental friends and visitors.

Happy Easter to one and all from yours truly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1tf2TPheE8

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
For those in the AN community who celebrate Easter as a religious holiday, even though the Eastern Orthodox obeservance isn't for another week, I thought it would be a good thing to post a YouTube link to some ancient music.

This is one of the oldest hymns in the history of the Christian Church. It's called 'Christos Anesti', which translated means 'Christ is Risen'. It is sung at the break of Easter Day, announcing the news.

'Christos Anesti Ek Nekron' means 'Christ is risen from the dead' in Greek. It is a song of reverance and victory.

I looked for something that would be among the best representations of how this hymn of Byzantium would sound in its essence, and found audio of the monks of Mount Athos, a remote and renowned monastary in northern Greece, singing the song in its most traditional version.

Take a trip back in time and listen to what church music was like in its infancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkrAqsgLAV8

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
From an ancient song to a contemporary musical celebration of Passover, which is also observed this week.

Here's a great rendition of 'Dancing Cheek to Cheek' only with lyrics that explain the symbols and meaning of the Passover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awl1KCo_oZ0

L'Hiam!

--------------------
 -

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
In the "Cheek to Cheek" song, it talks about the "Affikomen". That's the piece of matzah which is hidden somewhere in the house, waiting to be discovered by one of the children in attendance after the Seder. Affikoman actually comes from a Greek word meaning "that which comes after" or "dessert". So I guess that at both Easter and Pesach, children end up hunting for symbolic things, whether it be eggs or Matzah.
The reason for removing the ten drops of wine from the cup is that in remebrance of the ten plagues, no one is supposed to drink from a full cup.
Also, an interesting thing about the "Haggadah",(the book used for the Seder): it talks about the Exodus, but there is one name that can be found nowhere in it(the Haggadah). That name is Moses. The thinking was that if his name was repeated to many times, there would be a danger of him being deified.
One of the most famous illustrated Haggadahs is by a man named "Szyk". If you're so inclined, you can do a search for "Szyk Haggadah" to check it out. It was done around 1940, and parts of it almost have a "Cecil B. DeMille" feel.

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 14 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Charles !

Happy Easter (Pascha ) to everyone celebrating it on the Western Roman Catholic calendar .

Next week I look forward to singing the 'Christos Anesti' on Pascha .

Let's break a red egg , brother.

quote:
For those in the AN community who celebrate Easter as a religious holiday, even though the Eastern Orthodox obeservance isn't for another week, I thought it would be a good thing to post a YouTube link to some ancient music.

This is one of the oldest hymns in the history of the Christian Church. It's called 'Christos Anesti', which translated means 'Christ is Risen'. It is sung at the break of Easter Day, announcing the news.

'Christos Anesti Ek Nekron' means 'Christ is risen from the dead' in Greek. It is a song of reverance and victory.

I looked for something that would be among the best representations of how this hymn of Byzantium would sound in its essence, and found audio of the monks of Mount Athos, a remote and renowned monastary in northern Greece, singing the song in its most traditional version.

Take a trip back in time and listen to what church music was like in its infancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkrAqsgLAV8

Plai
IE # 298
Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plai   Author's Homepage   Email Plai         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links, Happy Easter :]

--------------------
Plai.tv

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Easter!

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012