my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Pristine WW2 combat footage discovered

Author Topic: Pristine WW2 combat footage discovered
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
The grandchildren of a US World War 2 veteran discovered three sealed film cannisters recently that contained raw footage never before seen. Their grandad shot the film of dog fights over Europe and the earliest days following the Normandy Invasion on June 6, 1944. It's a priceless collection documenting that aspect of the war. The reels have been donated to the Library of Congress and a full 16 minutes 24 seconds are available to view with outstanding quality considering the age of the film.

Here it is:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27648023#27650485

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Dennis Woodyard
IE # 81
Member # 2314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Woodyard   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Woodyard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's incredible footage. The silent post-D-Day footage was eerie. Actually my sons were playing the Lucas Arts video game Secret Weapons over Normandy as I was watching the clip. It's sound matched the gun camera shots. There still so much to learn from the history of WWII. Hopefully, it will teach the way to never let war happen on that massive scope, again. (It's a shame the Iraq war has lasted longer that our involvement in WWII)

--------------------
 -
The Gods that smiled when you were born are Laughing now - My Favorite Fortune Cookie Saying

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
That's truly amazing footage of the war. What a find.
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
very interesting footage. amazing how well the stock quality stood up over the years.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012