my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Baseball 2008

Author Topic: Baseball 2008
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time of year again! Time for baseball talk on the AN Forums!

And although we're gettin started the last week of the regular season instead of the beginning of the post-season, it's a great day to git rollin as the Chicago Cubs clinched the National League Central Division Championship for the second year in a row, something that hasn't happened since the 1907-08 season. Maybe they can win their first World Series championship in 100 years. That would be great. Routin for the Cubs, Go Cubs Go!

The California Angels clinched their division, and the rest of the playoff field looks to be the Boston Red Sox, Tampa Bay Devilrays, probably the Chicago White Sox (Go Sox! Get the division!), also the LA Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Mets.

This was a great competitive season in many ways. One that'll be remembered for a long time. Last season for ol Yankee Stadium.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder loves the Cubs, and someday we'll go all the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHTScDBsDU

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
The last game at Yankee Stadium.. you know for some reason I always thought they would play the Red Sox in that game.. but hey, you can't script everything. Thank you Yankees and Yankee fans for being such a great opponent. Have fun next year in your new stadium.. As for me, I'll be rooting for the Red Sox in the playoffs. [Razz]

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
A special day. Moving and sad, yet at the same time happiness from rejoicing in all the great memories of the Yankees legacy. In the 85 year history of their ballpark, the team has won 26 championships. No other team comes close.

Goodbye to old Yankee Stadium.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Something I disagree with concerning some comments during the ceremonies of the last game at Yankee Stadium, that being that Yankees fans are the greatest fans in the world.

Every team considers their fans the greatest in the world, but in my opinion, it's easy to have great fans when you have a winning tradition such as the Yankees. The greatest fans in the world are those that stick with their team through decades of disappointment, like Red Sox fans or the Cubs, who haven't won a championship for their fans in 100 years.

Taking nothing away from the Yankees on this day, I believe the greatest fans are those that stick with their team even when they don't win over the span of generations. They're the greatest of fans, or else collosal fools.

In any case, here's to the Yankees for some of baseball's greatest moments and greatest of players, as well as great fans of their team and the game of baseball.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

It should be mentioned that the New York Mets are playing their last season at Shea Stadium. Next year they'll have a new ballpark as well. The face of New York baseball will be changing in 2009.

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
Next year the Mets move into Citifield.. I have to admit, that new ballpark is beautiful. Hopefully they won't have the heartbreak of the last 2 seasons of missing the playoffs on the final day of the season.

Speaking of final days of the season,.. The White Sox have forced a one game playoff with the Twins.. Winner goes to the post-season, loser goes home. Last year the Padres and the Rockies played a one game playoff and the winner went to the World Series.

Red Sox face the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.. (I still can't get over that Angels naming convention..)

Winner of the Twins/White Sox will face the Tampa Bay Rays.. They dropped the Devil in their name and hey, they made the playoffs.. how bout that?

The Phillies face the Brewers.. First time since 1982 the Brew Crew goes to the post season.. They are not exactly the Harvey Wallbangers of old, but they can rake..

The Dodgers with Joe Torre leading them are facing the Cubs. 100 years ago the Cubs were World Champs.. This year they are the team to beat in the National League...

Playoffs look to be exciting!

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Indeed JDC! Another exciting regular season in baseball comes to an end with another one game playoff for a division championship and a playoff berth... White Sox vs Twins tomorrow.

If you plan on following the payoffs, go to http://mlb.com for real time updates as the games are in progress.

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

White Sox take the American League Central Division Crown.. beating the Minnesota Twins 1-0 in a one game playoff. Took 163 games, but the Pale Hose are going to face the Rays in the Division series.

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I was at a panel discussion at the Guild just now and found out the results of the game thanks to JDC. Yeah man! Go White Sox! Chicago and LA have both of their teams each in the playoffs.

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

[Eek!] I'm a little stunned.. The Dodgers have swept the Cubs out of the playoffs. I was rooting for the cubbies.. [bawling]

--------------------

Pixel Pusher
Member # 1558

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Pixel Pusher   Email Pixel Pusher         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a good time to give up on the cubs
and become a dodgers fan. i have lived in la for
10 years.

Maybe the cubs will win in the after life?

I grew up going to cubs openers and singing with
jack brickhouse long before harry. I grew up thinking the cubs were there to entertain and maybe
win once in a while.

one thing i hate cheering for teams is the let down
and when the bulls won 6 times it wasn't really that
great. they never cheered for me ever.

so i think over all it's good to be a fair weather
fan:)

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Someday they'll go all the way, but not this year.

I learned to stop emotionally investing in sports thanks to the Cubs. I wish they would win a championship for their long suffering fans, or at least make a contest out of it when they make the playoffs, but they seem to repeatedly beat themselves.

The Bulls of the 90's brought some dignity to Chicago sports, and the White Sox won a baseball championship in my lifetime (2005), plus they are located closer to where I grew up. I haven't worn a Cubs hat in years, but I'll wear the White Sox even though I root for both teams.

It's not the end of the world. Congrats to the LA Dodgers, they played excellent baseball and deserve to go to the National League Championship series. We'll see which other teams advance tomorrow.

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

The Rays and The Red Sox in the ALCS.. Rays are really impressive this year.. this looks to be a good fight.. not to mention that these two teams have quite a history clearing the benches and brawling..

The Dodgers will take on the Phillies in the NLCS.. If I'm not mistaken, I think Tommy Lasorda is originally from Philadelphia. I'm curious to see how Ryan Howard and Manny Ramirez will do.. could be a slugfest.

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Today is a very special day in baseball history, and also in Tom Sito history.

It was 100 years ago today that the Chicago Cubs won their last World Series Championship.

Also on this very day, October 14, 2008, Tom Sito made a mistake in his account of history.

I happened to find his blog through some links I was checking out and lo and behold, he has published on this day and I quote...

"1908- The Chicago Cubs defeated the Detroit Lions for their first, and so far only, World Series championship. The next time they got to the World series was 1945."

http://www.tomsito.com/blog.php?post=929

Sorry Tom but this is simply not true. The Chicago Cubs won 2 championships. One in 1907 and the other in 1908.

Also, they have been to the World Series 7 times since then. In 1910, 1918, 1929, 1932, 1935, 1938 and 1945.

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

The Lions? [Roll Eyes] Wrong motor city kitties.. Cubs beat the Tigers..

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Man, that went right past me! Gotta get your baseball history squared away there Tom, it's about as bad as your accounting (or lack thereof) of the history of AnimationNation.com (of which you were a part of in its origin) in your recent book about the history of the industry's labor movement.

The Detroit Lions are the city's NFL pro football franchise.

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Phillies in the series.. The "Flyin' Hawaian" Shane Victorino is exciting to watch.. Good Luck Philly Fans!

--------------------

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Holy Cow!! Red Sox come back from being down 7-0 in the seventh inning and win the game 8-7 with a base hit in the bottom of the ninth..

ALCS goes back to Tampa Bay on Saturday.

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I caught the last 3 innings when the Red Sox started their rally. Never cease to amaze. It'll be a tall order winning the next 2 in Tampa, but if any team can do it, it's the Sox, as they've proven time and again the past few years.

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Rays/Phillies World Series.. I think these teams match up well offensively.. I give Tampa the edge with their starting rotation, but Philly has the more dominant bullpen. Good luck Philadelphia and will somebody build a decent stadium in tampa for the rays?..

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Boston almost did it again, they really came close to pulling off another incredible comeback after having their backs against the wall down 3 games to 1.

I'd say Tampa has the edge right now as they've been playing while the Phillies have been waiting. We'll see soon enough who has the advantage, the rested team or the active one.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Looks like it's you and me, JDC. Who do you think will be the champs this year, the Phillies or the Rays?

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

I think the Rays will take it in 6, but I would love to see the Phillies win it.

--------------------

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

and remember, if anyone steals a base, America gets a free taco from taco bell! [cheers]

--------------------

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Jason Bartlett of the Rays stole second in the bottom of the 5th inning.. America gets a free Taco.. go to Taco Bell on October 28th between 2 and 6pm for a free taco!

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Looking to the first game to see if the Phillies would be sharp enough to win after their extended rest, and sure enough they did by a score of 3-2. My guess is they'll win the series, but ya never know what can happen.

Tacos for all!

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Tampa Bay evens things up at 1 game each, they beat the Phillies 4-2. Scene shifts to Philadelphia.

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Phillies win game 3, with a walk off infield hit in the bottom of the ninth!

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Phillies with a commanding win 10-2. Now up 3 games to 1.

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Phillies pitcher Joe Blanton hit his first career major league home run.. and he does in the World Series!.. That was awesome.. he said he just closed his eyes and swung as hard as he could. wow!

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The dream of a championship tonight in Phillie got wet with a rain out. Score tied 2-2 in the 6th inning. Wait for better weather.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Incidentally, that's the first time in the history of baseball that a World Series game has been suspended because of rain. October 27, 2008. How about that.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The fat lady has sung and the Philadelphia Phillies are the 2008 champs of Major League Baseball, beating Tampa Bay 4-3 in the continuation of the rain delayed game.

They win the World Series 4 games to 1.

Congratulations to the City of Brotherly Love and to Phillies fans everywhere!

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

CONGRATULATIONS PHILLIES!

WORLD SERIES CHAMPS

--------------------

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
the cheesesteak of suffering ends!

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Celebrate with Vanilla Mood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrREqHJSIc&NR=1

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012