AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Mortgage based finance crisis growing and getting worse

Author Topic: Mortgage based finance crisis growing and getting worse
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Who could've imagined Lehman Brothers, a 158 year old financial giant, going bankrupt. The situation is bad and getting worse in the world of mortgage based fiancial institutions, with more venerable companies at risk of going down the same road. It's as bad as it's been since the Great Depression, affecting markets worldwide.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/105785/Worst-Crisis-Since-1930s-With-No -End-Yet-in-Sight

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty darn bad, and the worse is yet to come.

I've been pulling money out of the market since last year. I've just about loss faith in this corrupt system.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I hear that. I lost faith a long time ago.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Fun, in all seriousness. Could you explain how is the stock market is corrupt?

--------------------
-Tom

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong I do think there is corruption. But I would like to hear where you might think it is and why.

--------------------
-Tom

Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animation Co-op           Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, this entire situation has been brought about by basic human greed, and we're ALL culpable components of "the system".

Homeowners want MORE, so banks (only too happy for MORE themselves) write a flood of shaky mortgages. Shareholders was MORE, so financial institutions offer ironically-termed "securities" that are leveraged on this house of cards.

This is what we get, folks, when we spend money we don't have and when we borrow funds that we can't cover. "WE" are responsible for this.

And guess who ultimately has to bail "US" out (in the form of massive corporate welfare subsidies to imploding institutions whose CEOs take great big golden parachutes on the way out)?

YOU! [Big Grin]

KG

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
I will not speak for Mr. Fun, but I encourage anyone with an hour to kill to listen to NPR's "The Giant Pool of Money."
http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=355

The piece paints a clear picture of Wall Street's folly.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to it Jennifer. Really get's down to ground level of how this all emerged and worked out. The dynamics that fueled it was the enormous global wealth that amassed from the developing world, effectively doubling the world money supply in just a few years, from what had taken centuries of capital accumulation to build up.

So we've lost a good part of the global money on this, kind of back where we started, and the economy will settle into a 1970s malais for a few years as opposed to the Great Depression. Lending criteria will be enforced like it should've been all along, and we shall live to see another day.

--------------------
 -

Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animation Co-op           Edit/Delete Post 
An excerpt from today's L.A. Times business section editorial by David Lazarus:

I've never understood why some people consider "government" a dirty word. In a perfect world, free markets may indeed be sufficient to reward corporate excellence and safeguard consumers. But this isn't a perfect world.

Businesses aren't moral, they aren't ethical. They aren't supposed to be. They exist to make money and enrich shareholders. Regulation is necessary to define acceptable standards of conduct in an amoral world and to ensure that those standards are upheld.

Regulation, it's now abundantly clear, also is needed to protect people from themselves. I'm thinking of all those would-be homeowners who took out mortgages they had no prayer of affording.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012