my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Remembering September 11, 2001

Author Topic: Remembering September 11, 2001
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Seven years ago today, where were you, what were you doing when you first heard the news?

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sleeping. Having a crazy dream about being on top of a tall building looking down at all this crazy activity. Assuming it was a celebration of some sort.I was there in this dream with some of my close friends and my lady, Lisa.then Lisa decided that we needed to get off the building and jumped for this ladder that was wobbling parallel to the building we were on.Cryin out, "Come on we got to go" then I took the cue and jumped after her but missed the ladder and fell--I woke up to Lisa coming home early from work and frantically telling me to turn on the tv....crazy right?

It was so surreal. I jumped out of bed and turned on the tv and right then the second plane crashed into the second tower before I could even register what was going on with the first tower that got hit. I don't think I believed I was awake for about an hour after I woke up. too weird to be real, especially after that crazy dream.

I just couldn't even imagine what people where going through that were directly affected by it.
The imagery and recordings still get to me.

Luckily the only people I know in that area ended up working clean up. But I hope their health is strong. lots of people still feeling the repercussions of the air at ground zero.

A crazy time to remember. I hope it reminds people to love each other instead of fearing each other.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
I had woken up about 15 min before the first plane hit and was watching the news, as I usually did before I went to work. When the announcement of an aircraft hitting the first Tower was reported. A few minutes later the 2nd jet slammed into the other building and I knew at that instant that it was a terrorist attack rather than some freakish accident. I was glued to the TV and the internet and didn't end up going to work till about 11, when I normally got there about 7.

I remember how strange it was to not see any planes around John Wayne Airport and that the freeways were almost empty.

The stunned feeling I had slowly turned to anger and from that, a burning rage, especially after seeing the images that came in like the one below.
 -

*fixed spelling

[ September 11, 2008, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: The Mod ]

--------------------
-Tom

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
i was in philly helping my brother register for college classes when we were evacuated from the building and basically the city. crazy times.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

kid plutonium
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid plutonium           Edit/Delete Post 
Charles, I really do not understand the point of this kind of thread. What is it that you wish to achieve?

I'm sorry for having to pull the "I also lost someone in the Twin Towers" card but there is this thing called MOVING ON!

Every year around this time we get the same cycle of bulls**t: Oh where were you, what were doing ad nauseam. Perhaps there is the illusion that "remembering" 9/11 is proof of one's patriotism or in some way shows respect for those who died and those whose lives were forever changed by the sorry combination of religion, stupidity and intolerance.

The 9/11 marketing has been brilliantly effective: encouraging us to "relive" that moment. Why? And to what purpose? Thomas, we've seen that picture a thousand times so why do you need to show it again? Why do you need to broadcast your hatred? It's hatred that got us into this nonsense in the first place.

Excuse the rant, but I really think that it's high time we stop worshipping at the altar of sensation and ugliness and use our energies for something better. Enough said.

Otterslide
IE # 38
Member # 346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Otterslide   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the kid. I made a conscious decision to put this thing behind me at the five year mark. It was tragic, evil, and horrible, but so are so many other things. It's way past time to move ahead and focus on the present and the future and on ways to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

--------------------
Bryon E. Carson, Proprietor
 -

mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojodesign   Author's Homepage   Email mojodesign         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, that picture's powerful, Thomas. I had never seen it.

Personally, I myself try to push it aside and move forward. Don't get me wrong. I don't try to pretend it never happened nor do I try to forget. I just try and move on without torturing myself by watching 9/11 movies or documentaries. It doesn't do me any good. That would explain why this is the first time I'm seeing that picture.

...that was such a horrible day for humanity.

-Jose S.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
wow, I don't get it. Charles is not perpetuating any marketing machine. Charles is a very compassionate man and just because one wants to leave it behind , which I do to, it doesn't mean one has to forget or not talk about it with compassion in ones heart.

Memorials are the stuff to remind us of our loses
and how we should all be better people in this fragile journey of life.

Dia De Los Muertos is a day to remember our dead and what our ancestors have given us and to acknowledge their lives on this planet.which I believe is Charles intent/

Just because you choose to forget doesn't mean the people remembering are doing so with an agenda. that accusation seems very insulting. why don't you just ask the man what the point is and leave it at that instead of filling in the blanks like he's some sort of media sensationalist thats tryin to get ratings?

so while you're leaving stuff behind you, leave that attitude as well.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

quote:
Damn, that picture's powerful, Thomas. I had never seen it.

That's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the shear number of heart wrenching pictures and videos New Yorkers took, documenting forever what happened that day. A lot of them were published in foreign newspapers and magazines. Strangely enough we didn't see too many of them on our own US periodicals. It's sad and sickening to think what those left on the upper floors must have been going through.

I for one am thankful that we haven't had to bear witness to that same sort of carnage in this country since that day and I hope it continues for many more if not ever (though that may be wishful thinking).

--------------------
-Tom

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
When the shiz hit the towers, I was working with the TV on, as usual. I called the guys at the studio and said the work in progress would be delayed for a bit.

I had to turn off the news and put on a Spongebob channel today because the coverage was so disturbing. LINK TV had a very strong DEMOCRACY NOW (what I saw of it) with personal remembrances of survivors. Bleh! Awful.

This kind of thing doesn't touch the US often. Elsewhere in the world, due to various wars and a lack of infrastructure to protect from natural disasters, tens of thousands drown in mudslides and hundreds of thousands are slaughtered for too many reasons to count, many in misdirected response by the US for the 9/11 attack.

If there's a lesson, it's that American are not an intrinsically special, protected class. The hammer can fall anywhere. You'd think that might lead to a stronger desire for peace, but nope. There's no profit in that.

-

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
I woke up Tuesday morning September 11, 2001 to view the first tower on fire. I had decided to fly back to Los Angeles Monday night, September the 10th.

One day made all the difference.

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
kid plutonium, sure let's just forget about the single most defining moment in modern history the repercussions of which we will be feeling for who knows how long.

--------------------
www.shamoozal.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

It's just an innocent question on the anniversary. This guy posts one message in the past year and then pops up to troll. The never ending hostility of some of these people. Deal with your own radioactive hatred.

I slept in late that day as I had been working into the wee hours the night before. I just finished up the post production on an animated film I had in progress for years. I finally completed it on September 10, 2001. It was a huge personal accomplishment.

When I got up the next mornng, I checked my voice messages and couldn't understand what people were talking about. I have some family in NYC and they were asking me if everyone was okay, but weren't saying why. I guess they assumed that I knew about this.

So I turned on the TV just as they were recapping the morning's events and watched it all in shock and awe.

I remember the first thought that came to my mind was, we're at war.

I knew from that moment on and the world would never be the same again. Just a few hours earlier I was joyous over the creative accomplishment, now after a brief sleep, the universe had changed.

Spent the better part of the day after that trying to settle things down on the AN forum. Some things don't change.

--------------------
 -

KevinO
IE # 36
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinO   Email KevinO         Edit/Delete Post 
I was getting the family ready to leave to go to the airport to fly out to Chicago to go to my sister in law's wedding, that Sat, 15th coming up. Needless to say the flights were cancelled, but we caught a flight on Friday the 14th on a nearly empty plane, from a completely deserted LAX to another deserted O'Hare. In one respect, it was the most efficient I've ever seen the airlines and airports, and this was well before any of the future security checks were in place. The number of flights were cut way down, but nobody was flying anyway so it was really pretty nice not to fight crowds. Other than that I spent the morning watching the news in somewhat disbelief. I never saw any of those photos like Thomas posted. The only disconcerning part was on our flight to Chicago, we had to fly to Indianpolis and get re-routed to Chicago, and that flight flys right over Lake Michigan, over the city. I looked out the window and saw the Sears Tower right in front of us, and I immediately thought, 'oh no, not again!' and then we turned left around the skyscrapers into O'Hare.
Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

With a bit of trepidation I post these links. Do not go there if you are weak of heart/stomach. I should note that the History Channel at this moment is showing many of these images and videos. It still makes me mad, even after 7 years, what those people have wrought and the images are burned into my brain.

link 1 - pictures

link 2 - video

*fixed dead link

[ September 11, 2008, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: The Mod ]

--------------------
-Tom

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
September 11, 1968 - Walt Disney Day

-

-

kid plutonium
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid plutonium           Edit/Delete Post 
Charles, whether I have posted one or three hundred messages over the last year is quite irrelevant. The fact that you start a thread to which people may comment gives me the right to voice my opinion. It is not necessary for me to agree with you any more than it is necessary for any of you to agree with me. Surely disagreement must be possible. And when an issue such as this is put on the table don't expect "politically correct" disagreement.

I personally think there is far too much sensation attached to "remembering" 9/11. You, on the other hand find asking where we all were and what we were doing at the time to be an innocent question. I don't see it as such hence my earlier comments.

Snakebite, I'm not questioning Charles' compassion. I'm just wondering why he feels the need to ask this question in the first place.

Ganklin, moving on does not mean forgetting. It has more to do with accepting that what has happened has happened and adjusting one's perspective accordingly. Picking at a wound, mental or physical makes it harder to heal.

Thomas is doing his thing. Again, I ask what is the point, what is the plan? Why does he want us to look at that again? To keep our blood boiling? To keep us angry and in a state of rage? I don't get this kind of stuff but I'm willing to listen to any answer.

In the end, I think a quiet, subdued moment of reflection on 9/11 is all we need. Of course, this is only my opinion and not an attempt to change the constitution.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Okay then. I'll try and explain it as simply as possible to you.

This is, or was, September 11, 2008. Seven years to the day after the attack on the US. We choose to remember this day. I asked a simple question with no alterior motive. I simply wanted to know what people were doing, where they were at, etc, when they first heard the news of what was going on.

That's it. Sorry to disapoint you.

I notice that you are from Holland. I don't suppose that people there are as insensitive as you appear to be, to others remembering what happened to the US and to the world on this day seven years ago.

If the topic bothers you, don't read it or post to it, or try and turn this into a confrontation when there is no confrontation to be had. You can at least offer us that courtesy.

Also, you are grossly mistaken if you believe that you have the right to post whatever you want on this site, or to behave in any way you see fit, especially when you do it anonymously. Trolling is not tolerated here.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

A few months later, in February 2002, I was in New York City for a few days. At the event I was attending, I met a couple of kids who were around 13 years old, about 8th graders I'd say. They started talking about Sep 11 and mentioned that 30 of their school mates lost at least one parent that day in the attack on the World Trade Center.

As they spoke, I saw them become solemn and their faces turned blank as they remembered what happened 5 months before. I'll never forget that.

There was a Greek church that was destroyed when the buildings collapsed. I happened to meet a priest from that church. He had to perform 45 funerals for parishoners that died that day.

It's September 12, 2008 and life goes on.

--------------------
 -

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

i agree with charles. plus, kid plutonium, i for one do NOT want to accept what has happened, because it is intolerable.

--------------------
www.shamoozal.com

akinney
IE # 167
Member # 3050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for akinney   Email akinney         Edit/Delete Post 
i, personally, think that 'kid' is being a b**tch. if you don't like a thread - SHUT UP AND DON'T READ IT IF IT BOTHERS YOU. Nobody is making you read it so go away. There was no sensationalism on Charles part and you're just picking a fight. It's whiny sh** like that that gets threads closed down and why politics can't be dicussed - "mod, charles, i don't like ____________, it offends me, don't put that stuff up."

Charles and company have a hard enough time with this board, especially of late. You don't contribute and when you do it is to attack charles? That's nerve.

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry the truth hurts.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Its impossible to get mad about someone who pretty much just has their head in the sand.
I could work on an elaborate statement that people overseas may not understand how deeply this day affected our lives here in the US, but I'm not sure its worth the effort here.

You just gotta wonder about people that get mad about Charles for posting this thread and others who post things like the photo on this thread. This is incredibly mild compared to what others have photographed and recorded on this day. Does it bother you when people talk about the things that form and change the world we live in?

Do you get mad at the photographer who recorded the Rodney King beating? Do you get mad when people talk about the Holocaust? Don't you just hate it when they show images of Katrina, or the "Christmas tsunami" where over a hundred thousand people lost their lives in a few minutes? Do you turn off the tv when you see a terrible earthquake or even a single act of violence? Do you get angry at people for posting pictures of children starving in a poor country powerless to save them? Good. Well, you should. You should get mad as fcking hell. Because that is the only way anything is ever gonna change.

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

I know this is taking the topic to another direction but I thought it might be informative to explain that for me personally the anger stems not from the fact that it was a disaster, it was, it's that it was a man made catastrophe, a deliberate act of war. Not only did they decide to spring a sneak attack but the attackers chose to hit civilian targets using civilians as human cruise missiles. Even the Japanese, in '41 had enough honor to hit a strictly military target (though that didn't stop them from occasionally strafing civilians on Pearl).

Another thing that pisses me off about this war is that the people we're fighting choose not dress as soldiers nor act as soldiers. On the subject of uniforms; A soldier's uniform is actually a big flashing neon arrow pointing to some kid that says to the enemy, SHOOT ME! And that's one of the things a uniform is for. It makes the soldier into a target to be killed. Now if that's all there was to it, you might say that the whole uniform thing is not such a groovy idea. BUT! What a uniform also does -- the corollary to the whole idea of a uniformed person is to say that if the individual wearing a uniform is a legitimate target, then the person standing next to him in civilian clothes is not.

The whole acting as a soldier is something the enemy chooses not to do as well since they repeatedly torture and kill every single one of ours. Think about that for a second. Yes we do interrogate prisoners, but when we get one them we do not take them out back, cut their heads off and dump the corpses into the nearest river. We also do not deliberately single out civilian targets and kill everything with can. No, we take great pains to avoid this if at all possible. I can document weapons & tactics we have come up with to do such things such as the cement filled JDAM .

Anyway I apologize to Charles in advance, I just had to get that off my chest.

--------------------
-Tom

Puneet Makhija
IE # 65
Member # 730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Puneet Makhija   Author's Homepage   Email Puneet Makhija         Edit/Delete Post 
I had just come back from work and was freshening up when the news flashed on Aaj Tak the Hindi channel. The news kept coming as we watched in disbelief as the second plane crashed. And the news of other planes that had disappeared all made it sound like a plot from some Hollywood movie. What we could not even imagine, these guys had done. What could you do with people who cannot be reasoned with, who are prepared to die, and kill other people with them? We had experienced terrorism for some time now, but not of this kind, not of this extent. This changed the world forever.
Paka
IE # 131
Member # 1411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paka   Email Paka         Edit/Delete Post 
What I remember most is my brother and I being scolded by our mother that day simply because we made the observation that these kinds of events happen worldwide on a regular basis in other countries; we couldn't understand why it was so significant just because it happened here.

Whether carefully orchestrated by the Powers-That-Be or truly an act of "terrorism," I guess it's just so mawkishly tragic because it happened to a couple thousand anglos in the United States.

On a related note, I came across this "Forbidden Thoughts About 9/11" piece a few years ago, and I found it intriguing and yes - I dare say - rather amusing! [Razz]

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

interesting story: my sister wore a pin with a black ribbon tied around the red, white, and blue that my grandmother made on and for sept 11. this year, she told me that three different people said to her "oh i like your pin. what's it for?" people are already forgetting.

paka, i don't like your tone and i don't care for that link either. not to mention the obvious race card you're playing, its truly sad and sickening to see that people take enjoyment in the death of others.

--------------------
www.shamoozal.com

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
So four airplanes full of people are frequently hijacked in other countries, and are flown into 110 story buildings full of people, causing their collapse, killing thousands, causing a war and changing the world forever? Yeah, I see what you mean. That kind of "mawkish tragedy" happens all the time in other countries. I'm surprised the news even covered it. I think your mother was mad at you because you showed a disrespect for human life.
spacelobster
IE # 278
Member # 3391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spacelobster   Email spacelobster         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine went away, NEVAR FORGET!! [Gary] Saturday night live was making 9-11 jokes a month later. I didn't even tell any, I just asked for some. [lamer]

This super-serious thing that makes eagles cry happened when I was in class at animation school, and we all left to watch it on a big projector screen. The first thing I thought about was secretaries and janitors having the ****tiest day at work ever. About a week later I was already sick of the exploitation by manipulators who couldn't care less about working class people. No fair asking "where was you" without opinions about it.

This reminds me of that time in 9th grade when I switched schools and went to Math Club. As soon as the teacher handed out the tests, I realized it was going to be totally lame and no fun like the old math club. So instead of filling out the answers I made silly drawings. The teacher referred me to the school psychologist. Then I was all like "ha ha" when the principal handed me a national merit letter for best math scores. This thread is Math Club, and the award goes to FP.

For all those forum moderators in training, and mods from other forums who look to AN as a model, what happened here is called hijacking a thread. Sometimes it's deliberate, sometimes it's not.

In the case of this topic, the question was posed, "where were you and what were you doing when you heard about the attacks on Sep 11 '01?"

Since it's not possible to stay on topic with member's personal experiences of that day, the decision is made to kill the thread before the abuse gets any worse.

[ September 15, 2008, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Charles ]

--------------------
 -

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012