AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to General Discussion.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » J. C. Leyendecker: America's "Other" Illustrator

Author Topic: J. C. Leyendecker: America's "Other" Illustrator
LeftyMcKay
IE # 168
Member # 2558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeftyMcKay   Author's Homepage   Email LeftyMcKay         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who didn't make it to Stockton late last year, The Fullerton Museum is now hosting the J. C. Leyendecker: America's "Other" Illustrator exhibition from now until November 18.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting this! I almost forgot!!!

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thanks for posting that!
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Leyendeckers works!!! thanks!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Leyendecker. When I was in NY several years ago, I convinced my wife to help me hunt down his home in New Rochelle, Westchester County. It's a beautiful place, but if I remember right it had been converted into some type of pre-school. It was early in the morning so I didn't dare knock on the door.
Here are some things I remember about J.C. from an illustration history class (some of these could be wrong, it's been a while. Feel free to correct me):
His brother Frank was also an excellent illustrator, but died relatively young (in his 50's I think) of a drug overdose.
Joseph believed in living beyond his means as a way of inspiring him to keep working. Not necessarily wise, but illustrators got paid a lot more back then.
He had a brief falling out with Norman Rockwell over Rockwell's adoption and reliance on using a balopticon (an early overhead projector) for his illustrations.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to this show on Sunday.. EXCELLENT SHOW!!!
Leyendecker is truly amazing. Seeing the work in the flesh is awe inspiring!!

For those that can't make it down to Fullerton, the Haggin Museum has a very nice photo gallery of the show, and a downloadable lecture..
http://hagginmuseum.org/exhibitions/leyendecker/index.html

This guy posted pics from the show on his blog here..
http://www.louisgonzales.com/blog/?p=33

[bow]  -
Baffles me that there are some people whou wouldn't consider this art.

--------------------

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

quote:
He had a brief falling out with Norman Rockwell over Rockwell's adoption and reliance on using a balopticon (an early overhead projector) for his illustrations.
They must've patched things up.. cause Rockwell was one of his pallbearers.

I like their relationship.. Rockwell being considered America's Illustrator.. small town and apple pie and Leyendecker was a coke-addict homosexual (during McCarthyism, was a big social faux pas).. and they seemed like best of friends.

--------------------

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
these are really awesome. i dont live out there otehrwise i'd definitely check this show out.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

The Mod
Administrator
Member # 854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mod   Email The Mod         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread deserved to be on General Discussion so I moved it up.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012