AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Where were you on 9/11/01

Author Topic: Where were you on 9/11/01
Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember in the 5th grade my teacher talking about John Kennedy and how he could remember distinkly where he was and what he was doing when JFK was shot. I also know that during World War 2 America was constantly reminded of the Attack on Pearl Harbor. So I thought that I would open up a thread where we could talk about where we were, what we were doing when the towers fell and how we felt about it. Please though No politics, no war, Bush bashing, or 9/11 thoeries please, save it for another Thread.

I remember being in Art School at the time at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I had an afternoon class, so I was waking up to get ready for the day and to take the Bart (Subway/Train) into the city. I turned on the TV and all of the stations were reporting about the towers being attacked. So I watched as everything unfolded and grew increasingly shocked that someone would both have the nerve and be able to get away with flying two planes into the World Trade center and then the pentagon and almost the White House with flight 93. It was like something from TV like GI Joe or something. I went to class and there was a sign saying that all classes were canceled that day.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

IP: Logged
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
I was at home in bed Tuesday morning when I received a frantic phone call from my daughter. I was puzzled why she was so relieved I was safely at home. Shortly, I turned on the TV and found out why.

I had decided to return home to Los Angeles Monday evening, September 10th. What a difference a day can make.

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
i was helping my bro with signing up to the art institute in philly when it happened. we were evacuated from the building, and the city bascially emptied just to be sure. the ride home on the patco was jam packed and it was a bit surreal as no one knew what was going on. it hit me how insane it was when we got back to the car and we heard stern going nuts on the radio.

a crazy day indeed.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in SLC and had a dentist appointment that day. I got up and turned on the tv (which I normally never do) and saw the Pentagon had been hit. I thought it was a fire, and the severity didn't really registered. I showered and then heard about the towers and saw them fall. I was totally numb and for some dumb reason still tried to go to my dentist appointment, listening to the radio all the way there.
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
I was animating on "Ice Age" at Blue Sky in White Plains, NY. From our office, we could see the towers smoking and then falling. It was a really clear day. They called a meeting and most of us left for the day. The following day, the wind shifted and the electric smoldering smell was horrid. The phones were knocked out for a while. It was a weird experience, and one that I won't forget.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
I was woken early in the morning around 5am-ish by my mother in-law she hysterically telling me that terrorists attacked the WTC again by flying planes into it..

I tried calming her down.. I turned on the news.. and they were reporting on the first tower being hit.. right as I was telling her it was probably just an accident.. (because plane crashes were common prior to 9/11)
I saw the second plane hit live.

I just said "oh sh*t.." I heard her gasp on the other end. She told us to go buy supplies... etc.. and hung up the phone.

I went into work that day.. an nobody was working.. after management tried giving a tour to investors in a studio full of people watching the news online and radio.. they told us to go home.

I just remember thinking how unprepared I was.. if the attacks had escalated.

I'm not afraid of the terrorists anymore. They got us with our guard down. I doubt they can do it again. I'm more worried about the people of Iraq. Well.. those who aren't too happy about us blowing up their country and loved ones.

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

nettajean
IE # 98
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nettajean   Email nettajean         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom called me from work and woke me up that morning to tell me that a plane had hit one of the tower. She thought it was just a small commuter plane or something similar and just thought that I'd be interested. I turned on the TV after just missing the second plane hit and called my mom back with updates all morning long.

I really freaked out when the plane went down in PA near Pittsburgh. I wasn't living here at the time, but I was working close. I remember driving to work listening to the radio with all kinds of crazy reports coming in...car bombs in DC, plane crash in Dayton Ohio, all later confirmed false.

The sky was so clear that day, especially since there were no jets in the skies. I had never seen such a peaceful blue sky before. Not a single cloud or contrail.

I watched the news that whole week. There was really nothing else on. The night shows with Leno, Letterman...all dark that week. I remember watching Letterman's first night back with Dan Rather and them both crying.

--------------------
Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed
--Mel Brooks

Chris Roman
IE # 223
Member # 551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Roman   Email Chris Roman         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend and I had just started production on a show we'd sold to Disney. He called me that morning, woke me up, and said "The worst thing in the world has happened."

Being clueless and focused on our production, I said, "we've been canceled?"

Then he told me to turn on the tv.

The most eerie recollection of the days after 9/11 was the empty skies. I really noticed the lack of airplanes and smoke trails. It was disconcerting.

Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
At that time I was living in Austin, TX, working as a teaching assistant at the University of Texas. I didn't need to go to campus until Noon. I woke up, showered and had my breakfast. I turned on the TV, but I was watching the Disney Afternoon lineup on an independent local station at that time ( "The Legend of Tarzan" was debuting that year ). I was still writing up about the lineup on the newsgroups. After the lineup ended I watched some of Cartoon Network. Then I took the bus for work.

You see, neither of those channels mentioned the terrorist attacks. So the whole morning was a normal morning to me. But on the bus I noticed some really troubled looks on people's faces. The bus driver had a radio on, where I heard news audio about people standing around a wreck site. I asked if there was some car wreck in downtown Austin, or a plane crash. Then some guy spewed out the whole terrorist attack; four planes, the towers destroyed, the pentagon hit, all planes grounded. That was so much I thought he was kidding, to pick on me. But on the radio I started hearing casualty numbers.

When I got to my office I asked my friends what was going on, and they told me about the attacks. I still thought they were mistaken. Finally I logged in my computer and went to cnn.com. CNN had only a blank page with one sentence. Something like "Terrorist attack causes twin towers to collapse", with the "collapse" as a link. THAT was the moment I realized what had happened. [Confused]

I first thought of my father. From 1969-1979 he was an electrical engineer at the Port Authority of New York, on the design team that built and maintained the World Trade Center. He had earned that job in an international competition; we were able to immigrate from Peru because of the job. He did circuitry work for mostly the smaller buildings, but did do a couple of floors in Tower 1. His office was in the 58th. floor in Tower 1. Currently he was working at Miami International Airport. When I got home that evening I made sure to call my parents. My father told me about how the airport got shut down and how his boss briefed the workers there.

Sometimes my father brought me to the WTC to show the place to me. I went to the observation deck a couple of times. When my father talked to me, he never sounded sadder. [Frown]

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caracal   Author's Homepage   Email Caracal         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine called me here in LA from New York. He was in a hotel a few blocks away from the Trade Center. I can understand why it's taken so long to put anything on the site after all these years. It's just too painful.
CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
I was half-awake, laying in bed with my clock radio on a news station and I remember hearing them say "It's terrible what happened to the World Trade Center" and I literally jumped out of bed and ran over to turn on the TV. First image I saw was a replay of the second impact and they immediately cut away to live coverage and showed a collapse of one of the towers. I called my friend who I usually carpool with and I said "Turn on the television". He asked "What channel?" and I said "any channel". He told me later that he knew when I said those two words that something terrible had happened.

My friend called in to our animation studio that day and he said we were not coming in to work that day. I remember telling him I could not be happy working away on the Sesame Street website animation that I was doing at the time. No way.
I called work again later that morning and convinced some coworkers to go home and be with their families.

That was the only day I have ever stayed inside all day watching television. I never went outside, never went out on the patio, never walked out into the hallway. I don't even remember looking out the window that day.

Steve Schnier
Member # 3378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Schnier   Email Steve Schnier         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone was glued to CNN. My sister-in-law's parrot learned to sing "America The Beautiful" because she heard it on CNN so many times in the following days.
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
That was one of the strangest days ever.

For some strange reason, I don't know why, I turned my radio off that night. I was doing a live show that night with a live radio broadcast. I got tired and turned off the radio. I said to myself, "Look, I'll turn off the radio and some big news event will happen and I'll miss it."

Around 6:30 I believe I turned on the radio and heard Bill Handel from KFI here in LA screaming on the radio. He always screams but when he mentioned something about the towers, I thought it was a re-broadcast about the first bombing. When he said the second tower had collapsed I leapt out of bed turned on the tv set and totally lost it.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
I was asleep. May none of our dreams manifest themselves through the nightmare of others, and man never fully become a predator unto himself.
bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was freelancing at Rich Animation, so I had awoken a bit later than I would have on a 40 hr gig. I,too, first heard about it on the clock radio;but in my case it was just after the Pentagon had been hit. I immediately hit the TV remote,and,while trying to take in the enormity of what had happened, called my Dad. He hadn't tuned into any news or TV yet at that point, so he, of course was equally shocked.Then I called Bruce at home, and during the time we were on the phone,we watched in stunned silence as the second tower fell.
I went into work that afternoon, but needless to say, not much got done. The few of us that were there crowded around my tiny portable TV as more and more ghastly details came to light.

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 9 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I had just woken up and saw the horror on my roommate's TV as I walked past her door. Our house guest pulled me into the room and demanded that I observe what was happening to our country.

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember it like yesterday. On September 10, 2001, I finally completed an animated film I'd been working on for 8 1/2 years. Everything was finished and it was in the can on that very day. I got to sleep late and woke up at the time that would be early afternoon in New York.

I checked my voicemail to find several bizarre messages from friends that made no sense. One from a friend asking about the safety of some family I have in NYC. I turned the TV on and caught it right when the event by event update was happening. When I saw the tape of the second tower collapsing, I remember the first thought in my mind was "we're at war."

When I got to a computer, the AN forums were going hot and heavy. I strove to keep balance and maintain American dignity and we did just that. The community here was very dignified considering the magnitude of the events and the intense passions everyone was feeling.

We got calls all day long from students checking to see if class was on. Hell yes, I said. It was a powerful night at the Academy as almost everyone showed up for all our classes. It was an act of defiance for us. A very proud moment. I'll never forget how stalwart everyone at the Academy was that evening.

So I went to sleep with a completed film expecting to conquer the world the next day, only to find the next day that the world had changed forever. Like a Suzan Pitt film. Life is difficult and sad, but it is beautiful. And in that beauty we find redemption.

--------------------
 -

Stingray
IE # 292
Member # 1080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stingray   Email Stingray         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually in China directing a show in 2001. At the time of the attack it was evening and I was sitting in a disco bar with my Nelvana friend Stiker. we were drinking and started watching the news broadcasting on the TV's hanging off the walls. Assumed it was more conflict in the middle east until Rob says, 'Hey, that guy's wearing an NYPD jacket?!?! WTF!' We then had the surreal image of smoke filled room with Chinese folk dancing whilst above their heads was a large TV showing the first tower collapsing. Headed straight back to apartment a bit shocked at the events unfolding across the other side of the world. [Frown]
nettajean
IE # 98
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nettajean   Email nettajean         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother was in a college history class with the news on. The professor came in, shut off the TV and told the class, "We have history to learn". He wouldn't put the news back on for the kids to watch.

--------------------
Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed
--Mel Brooks

rdelgado
Member # 552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdelgado   Email rdelgado         Edit/Delete Post 
I was supposed to drop off my portfolio down at the Fox lot for the x-men sequel, and my wife and I hustled our kids into the car and I drove them to school. We never turn the TV or radio on in the mornings, so after I dropped them off and headed toward the 405, I flicked on the radio and was overwhelmed with what I would learn.

Imagine the choice: Either leap to your death or burn alive. The scenes of inhumanity are still etched into my mind, and that's why I've never seen any of those movies made about 9/11. Somebody somehwere made money off one of the worst things I've ever seen human baings do to each other. I am about as progressive as can be, but I still can't believe that the monster behind all of that is still out there.

Ricardo Delgado

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
Rdelgado, as heart-wrenching as it is to watch, I would still recommend you to see the film 9/11. It is a beautiful film by brothers Jules and Gedeon Naudet who were in the middle of a documentary about a rookie New York City firefighter when the 9/11 tragedy occurred. It was their camera that captured the only image of the first plane's impact, and they were with the Battalion Chief in the lobby of tower 1 before it collapsed and they were literally running into the basement when the building went down. It will forever be "the Zapruder film" of this event, and it is a masterful documentary.
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully enough time has passed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vmOPrKTJE
(i'm going to hell anyways)

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
The Oliver Stone Nicolas Cage movie is quite good and non-political.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012