AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » How to stop annoying credit-card junk mail...

Author Topic: How to stop annoying credit-card junk mail...
Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago I read some tips on how to avoid identity theft. One tip suggested filling out the online form at OptOutPrescreen.com to stop credit card junk mail for up to five years.

So, I filled it out. I did NOT use my Social Security number, since that information was "optional." I just used my name and address. So far, so good. It didn't stop the flood of junk mail completely, but most of it's now gone.

If you're interested in cutting down on clutter in your mailbox, check it out.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
There is one fun way to take out your aggression on credit card solicitations: send them something in the prepaid envelopes they send. I have a friend (really, it wasn't me I promise) who would send a piece of flat metal in those, so it would be heavy and so they would have to pay for the mailing. I've sent coupons or other random scraps of paper. Hopefully someone on the other end enjoys the surprises.
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Apelad, ROFL! Sending heavy metal in pre-paid envelopes!

Now THAT'S a good one! [thumbsup]

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people send bricks!
Hey, whatever works!
http://www.tipmonkies.com/2005/11/22/stopping-junk-mail-and-annoying-phone-calls/

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
The brick trick is familiar to me.

Unfortunately, the Post Office, under revised rules, will skip delivery of many such things:
'Rule 917.243(b) in the Domestic Mail Manual: 'When a business reply card is “improperly used as a label”— such as being affixed to a brick—the package may be treated as “waste” and not delivered, which means no charge to the recipient.'

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, how could I have forgotten this bookmark:

POSTAL EXPERIMENTS

Excerpt from a comprehensive article:

Testing the Limits

We sent a variety of unpackaged items to U.S. destinations, appropriately stamped for weight and size, as well as a few items packaged as noted. We sent items that loosely fit into the following general categories: valuable, sentimental, unwieldy, pointless, potentially suspicious, and disgusting. We discovered that although some items were never delivered, most of the objects of even highly unusual form did get delivered, as long as the items had a definitely ample value of stamps attached. The Postal Service appears to be amazingly tolerant of the foibles of its public and seems occasionally willing to relax specific postal regulations.

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
bronnie posted:

http://www.tipmonkies.com/2005/11/22/stopping-junk-mail-and-annoying-phone-calls/

Thank you for posting that link, bronnie. I just signed up for a five-year removal from the DMA marketing list. That should further reduce my mailbox clutter.

[Yes]

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012