AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » High School Musical 1 & 2: Will the screaming ever stop???

Author Topic: High School Musical 1 & 2: Will the screaming ever stop???
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
I ain't heard this much screaming since The Beatles debut.

What makes this tv movie series so popular? Do your kids watch it? Is there any animation in it?

I'm scared to watch it because when I saw the previews half the kids in the movie I've seen here in town. I would be scared if they suddenly broke out in song and dance like a Busby Berkley routine.

I guess all that dancing will get the kids skinnier. Solving the overweight problem in the U.S..

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

IP: Logged
ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids had the chance to see it last night, but instead chose to stay home and watch the Marx Brothers. I've never been prouder.
Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be getting old, because I didn't 'get' the first HSM, and even the second hasn't done anything for me.

I like musicals (I was sucked into the void that was 'Moulin Rouge,' and spontaneously applauded in the theater). But the songs have to catch me, and do something. HSM and HSM2's songs don't have that allure.

The last major musical I really enjoyed songs for was 'Wicked.'

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
The highest-rated cable show ever? And I never even heard of "High School Musical" until now. Really. I just looked it up online. That's popular? Why? It looks like something I'd pay not to watch. Must be a "tween" thing.
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
From the advertisements, it looked like something that would make me want to shove very sharp and long objects into my ears and eyes.

I might check it out to see what all the hub bub is.. but USUALLY most American pop culture makes me want to join Al Qaeda.

Like this for example.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUTIOjZejFI
[Gary] [Gary] [Gary] [Gary]
My GOD ...that makes me want to nerf bats to high school kids heads.

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the show has kids dancing! I mean really dancing!

Older folks too. Something we don't have enough of is dancing.

I've always wondered what makes us dance. It burns up valuable energy and achieves what? I guess it's one of those big mysteries.

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Saw some promotional stuff on the Disney Channel about this recently and was impressed. Looks entertaining for kids and families.

--------------------
 -

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Charles, this tv show is driving kids crazy. It's like American Idol craze all over for kids.

I couldn't call relatives without hearing kids screaming in the background and the dancing and the jumping around and all.

Burnin' up them calories.

Only thing that show needs is Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon and Bonehead to show up.

Maybe Eric Von Zipper too.

--------------------

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but USUALLY most American pop culture makes me want to join Al Qaeda.
Like this for example.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUTIOjZejFI

Some of the comments under that video are hilarious and pointed. You'll know 'em when you see 'em.

For dance, I watch THINKY on FOX. There's no storyline (beyond the corny, contrived "offstage" situations crafted by Lithgoe), just dancin'. The performances are athletic and some of them look nearly impossible, and the show biz cheez is kept to a tolerable minimum. In between the dances, there's plenty of time to pull computer and video tech magazines off the large pile and catch up all the latest. I want one of these 7-ounce hi-def no-moving parts $230 toys: GO-HD. The video quality is actually acceptable! Carry it in your shirt pocket for those YouTubeable situations in which you see a cop taking a nightstick to some mouthy toddler.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Leave it to television to take art, and make a contest out of it.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

"da Vinci.. Michelangelo, you are our finalists.. but there can only be one in America's top artist...the judges have voted.. and so has America..."

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised mbaker hasn't weighed in on this yet. He usually loves all the Disney tween stuff... [funny]
ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColorInAble   Author's Homepage   Email ColorInAble         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally get the HSM (High School Musical) property.

If you've ever watched a film about cliques in High School (or extended into college), or experienced them in real life, then you understand what this series of films is about.

It's really simple. Kids don't wnat to be walled into a little cubby. You're a jock, so all your friends must be jocks too. Don't associate with the brains, or the hippies, or the greasers. And don't stray into thier teritory. If you are on the football team, you shouldn't learn how to fix a car or bake a cake, the car is for the greasers, and the cake is for those home ec gals who are studying for that Mrs. Degree.

Well, the moral of these High School Musicals is...

THIS IS STUPID, YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU ARE INTERESTED IN. THE CLIQUES MEAN NOTHING, AND IF YOU WNAT TO BE A JOCK AND ALSO COOK, THAT'S GREAT!!! SCORE SOME BASKETS AND THEN WHIP ME UP A CREME BRULLET IF THAT'S WHAT YOU LIKE TO DO!!!

It really is that simple, and the fact that is touches our current Tweenage generation so completely, shows that we have been raising our youth to feel trapped and repressed by how narrowly we let people define themselves and those around them.

This very well may be the start of a social revolution to let people feel freedom and diversity in the opportuinties they feel they can persue in life...

HSM is socially and culturally extremely important...

--------------------
 -

mbaker
Member # 2012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbaker   Email mbaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Normally, if i would make a post bashing Disney Channel's current crap on this forum, (Or some other forums for that matter) I would probably get villified by most of you. I'm very surprised that some of you feel the same way as i do about this shameless abomination that Disney Channel has crapped out. It really makes me sick that this garbage has become bigger than Christ. Has America become so shallow, and superficial that they'll watch this crap, and EMBRACE it?!? If i was John Lasseter, i would put Disney Channel out of business, and dump all their tween crap in the same Mexican landfill with all the 'E.T' cartridges! Clearly, Disney Channel is now a girly network, and they've killed everything i use to like about Disney.
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Hannah Montana.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012